Question MR2200AC vs RT6200AC as a first Synology purchase?

Currently reading
Question MR2200AC vs RT6200AC as a first Synology purchase?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am using an Apple Time Capsule which has a disk error, so looking to replace it. I am considering buying either the MR2200AC or the RT6200Ac as my only router. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment so do not need a mesh system. The modem is Spectrum provided with basic internet service. I don't need a super fast connection. I will be purchasing a separate NAS drive for Time Machine backups. With this in mind, I see local pricing for the MR2200AC is $139.00; the RT6200AC $199.00. For my simple purposes which would you purchase ? Is there some advantage to the RT6200 other than the SD card? I would appreciate your advice.

The MR2200AC only provides one WAN port and one LAN port, so I would first consider whether you will be needing to hardwire more than one item on your network. Otherwise, you will be looking at also purchasing a network hub.

Another thing to consider is the number of wireless applicances you will be connecting. If it is just a handful and you are not bothered about wireless connection speed I would think the MR2200AC should be sufficient.

Check out a few reviews:-

Or consider repairing the Time Capsule?
Or use an external USB drive with your TC. [May have to add the hidden Apple file that indicates the disk can be used for Time Machine. ]

I am using an Apple Time Capsule which has a disk error, so looking to replace it. I am considering buying either the MR2200AC or the RT6200Ac as my only router. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment so do not need a mesh system. The modem is Spectrum provided with basic internet service. I don't need a super fast connection. I will be purchasing a separate NAS drive for Time Machine backups. With this in mind, I see local pricing for the MR2200AC is $139.00; the RT6200AC $199.00. For my simple purposes which would you purchase ? Is there some advantage to the RT6200 other than the SD card? I would appreciate your advice.
@AdrianEarnshaw made valid points. The question here is the number of devices and services that this router will do. If you will have a need to connect via cable a number of devices (more then one) then you will also need to get a switch if you decide to go with a 2200 model. Can you get one for $60? Maybe, sure. Still its another device. On the other hand for $60 more you get a bit more powerful device then 2200, more capable and one day a device that can in fact be used as your main starting point for mesh (if you will be in that kind of situation). All in all, personally I would go for 2600 model as the main device just for that peace of mind (extra ports, power and more out of the box supported features).

@Rusty The MR2200ac can be used as the main mesh router but only with other MR2200ac.

Having got both RT2600ac and MR2200ac in a mesh I'm really happy with how they are working together. I can't say how well they perform when the Internet connection is higher than 100Mbps so others can chime in for that.

Coming from an Airport Extreme (dual-band flat, square version) extended with a single band Airport Extreme and power-brick style Airport Express then I'm really please with the change and how it fitted in during replacement.

SRM benefits, ignoring the newer WiFi features:
  • firewall is more configurable: e.g. you can block access from source IP ranges associated with geographic regions
  • provides VPN servers, both: remote access VPN to the router; site-to-site to connect LANs with another location
  • home DNS server if you want one
  • DDNS agent
  • SNMP monitoring (removed by Apple in Airport Utility after v5.6)
  • Safe Access web control (good for making sure the Daily Mail never gets any Ad revenues through inadvertent clicks <gets off soapbox>)
  • updating the configuration doesn't require the device to be rebooted
  • media server (DLNA)
  • adds WebDAV, SFTP, and NFS file sharing
  • file sharing access has better user account support
Also, RT2600ac has the Threat Prevention package and is probably the main reason to go for this model, if you didn't care about the:
  • four port LAN switch (which can be configured to three LAN ports and a second WAN port)
  • extra USB and SD card ports
Threat Prevention works on all in and out bound traffic. It's additional to Safe Access, which is mostly a DNS bases URL filter. With TP it identifies traffic patterns that match behaviour that could be malicious ... so if you have an Internet accessible web server then TP can identify and block attempts that appear to be probing for vulnerabilities.

As for Apple's Airport / Time Capsule: yes they have fewer features but also are simpler to setup: never underestimate this. Personally, I would still look to fix the disk error in the TC and you can use it as:
  • a wired 'NAS' with you SRM router of choice
  • three port LAN switch

Thank you, I am aware of it.
I hear the sarcasm :) Was it this or my dig at the Daily Mail?

For clarity, I just wanted to add that a first purchase of the MR2200ac doesn't preclude meshing: only buying the RT1900ac wouldn't do that. And it's one RT2600ac per mesh and, I think, it has to be the mesh controller (Internet router too?).

I hear the sarcasm :) Was it this or my dig at the Daily Mail?
No no, honest it wasn't. Just wanted to point out that I am aware that 2200 can be a fully functional router but my personal choice would be 2600 thats all. No offence to you @fredbert

All good advice above. For me, what motivated the utilization of the rt2600ac as my "main router" is that I am connected to two ISPs, for redundancy/reliability. If the primary goes down, the router falls back to the secondary, until it detects that the primary has come back up. Of the three models, the rt2600ac is the only one that offers this functionality. I have it working with a couple of mr2200s (for better wifi coverage throughout the house) and it's all been seamless.

My only complaint is that I haven't found a way to tie the ethernet port(s) on any of them to the same LAN as the wireless guest network.

Thanks for your help with the new router possibilities. Considering I may have some extra home time over the next couple of weeks, I'm in the process of buying an internal hard drive to replace the faulty one in the Time Capsule. Less waste , a better choice..... Thanks again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.