Currently reading
Multiple porting/firewall/ip/DHCP questions

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm still studying up and trying to understand porting and everything as I set up new apps (unifi,bitwarden, plex, etc) on my NAS. It seems that I'm using the default ports for access to most of these: ie, 8443 for BW, 32400 for plex, etc. So my first question is, how do I go about changing the port that an app is looking for? Is it possible to choose a random port to help evade people that are pinging for open default ports?

2nd question: in my DSM firewall, there is a rule setup to allow access to an external IP address (ie, not the 192.168.x.xx network address) that does not match the IP generated for this PC when I check it on whatsmyip.com. This rule was created before I moved to a new house and got a new router, and I do not know what that IP is actually pointing to. Is there any way to find out what it belongs to, or should I change that rule to the IP that I can see now?

3rd question: my unifi controller is currently running DHCP via USG DNS Forwarder. Is there any reason to be running the DHCP on my NAS instead?

4th question: Are there any settings that I should be checking in either the Unifi controller or DSM to make sure that the internal IP for hardware such as my PC or NAS isn't being changed dynamically?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.