Multiple Storage Pools and SSD Cache

NAS
DS1520+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi, I’ve got a DS1520+ (5 bay) with 5 x 4TB HDDs, and 2 Samsung 970 Evos as cache. I’ve just attached the DX517 expansion unit and installed 5 x 10TB HDDs in there. Unfortunately I made the mistake of simply expanding my original storage pool and consequently, the new 10TB drives are now only using 4TB of their 10TB capacity. Once it’s finished expanding the original volume in a couple of days time I’ll have to reconfigure this all.

My questions are simple:
  1. Can I create multiple storage pools, I.e. one on the DS1520+ and one on the DX517?
  2. Can I choose which storage pool I point the SSD cache at? - I’m assuming if I simply create a a single volume in each storage pool I can choose which volume to point the SSD cache at....?
Many thanks for any help

As an aside it is generally considered to be 'a bad idea' to span a volume over the 2 machines and the esata cable. A fault or cable issue would crash the lot, so changing your volume structure is a good move.

The other thing to aim for is to have the fastest (usually largest when it comes to spinners) on the main unit in an effort to avoid the esata bottleneck.

The note above about a spare slot for whenever DSM7 is launched is a good one. I tend to be in that position anyway but DSM7 should make that a thing to aim for.

My NASes have 1 or more SSDs as the first 'fast' volume and 1 or more spinners for the slower bulk storage:

Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 18.14.18.png

Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 18.14.35.png

Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 18.12.21.png

I don't use SSD cache - I find using them as fast volumes far more useful and economical.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the response - appreciated.

My plan - once this pool expansion complete’s - is to delete the expanded pool and go ahead with the plan of two pools and a single volume on each.

And thanks for the tip re DSM7. Could I do the same by having a single drive in each pool on standby as a hot spare?

Cheers
-- post merged: --

As an aside it is generally considered to be 'a bad idea' to span a volume over the 2 machines and the esata cable. A fault or cable issue would crash the lot, so changing your volume structure is a good move.

The other thing to aim for is to have the fastest (usually largest when it comes to spinners) on the main unit in an effort to avoid the esata bottleneck.

The note above about a spare slot for whenever DSM7 is launched is a good one. I tend to be in that position anyway but DSM7 should make that a thing to aim for.

My NASes have 1 or more SSDs as the first 'fast' volume and 1 or more spinners for the slower bulk storage:

View attachment 3431

View attachment 3432

View attachment 3433

I don't use SSD cache - I find using them as fast volumes far more useful and economical.

Thanks Robbie. I had thought about swapping the disks around, i.e., putting the larger, faster disks, in the main unit but wasn’t going to bother. I think I’ll swap them around now.

Cheers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.