Currently reading
My biggest regret - buying a WD My Cloud Home

Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited by a moderator:
So I wanted to setup a little Plex server for my daughter. You know just in case we ever don’t have internet access or something.
But I always put it off because it wasn’t exactly a priority.
Then I saw a deal for a 4TB My Cloud Home (from Western Digital).

So many problems getting content on and off the thing. Then the limitations within Plex are rather frustrating.
Oh and only being able to upload content through their app... great!

Now I find out, after uploading plenty of video content... you can’t access your content if there is not an active internet connection - because it needs to authenticate you by their servers.

So I’m not really sure what the point in this device. I might as well just upload everything to Google Drive.

At some point I will just rip the 4TB hard drive out.
But I first need to figure out an alternative setup.
So do you have any suggestions of a local NAS which has Plex capability (without requiring my computer) which is more of a plug & play than requiring me to fully setup everything? Oh and if it can download torrents directly without me having to download and transfer manually that would be great. :)

(I’m a single dad, full time parent. I really don’t have the time to actually setup a little server)

[Moderator action: Edited - removed inappropriate language.]

really don’t have the time to actually setup a little server
This setup can be done on the synology without any problem. Also regarding downloads can be configured as well but all of that will require some time to set it all up

Hi,

I’m using Emby. Try it on your WD NAS. I think Plex requires internet connection if I’m not mistaken.
Oh on the WD you can’t choose what to install, it just has a couple options which you can enable.
It’s an awful device I would not recommend it to anyone under any circumstance
-- post merged: --

This setup can be done on the synology without any problem. Also regarding downloads can be configured as well but all of that will require some time to set it all up
Which model would you recommend?
Bearing in mind that I basically just wasted £100 on this piece of trash. Which I can’t get a refund for...

Oh on the WD you can’t choose what to install
I see.

Then if you end up buying a Synology, I second your idea of shucking the disk, however, try to know what WD model is inside first (some disk utilities can tell). It might not be suitable for a “real” NAS :)
In that case you might leave it as is and use it to backup the Synology.

But if all you need is to play kids shows and nothing else, aren’t you better off with some cheap media player?

Which model would you recommend?
Even though you "wasted" 100 atm, still means that Synology NAS will cost you a lot more tbh. If you are keen on using it as a Plex server then that might be in a mid-range when it comes to Synology NAS models, but then again you could use an entry model, depending on what will be a Plex server.

Also, your Plex clients play a role in this as well. The point with plex is if your clients are compatible with the media type/format that you want to play then you can have an entry-level NAS that will simply keep your content. If your devices will need any type of transcoding then the Plex server (a device that will have the installation running) will need to be capable of running real-time transcoding and then pushing the stream to your clients.

If you want your NAS to be a plex server and at some point transcode then you are looking into any "+" model Synology NAS (250-300€ and above). If you have a pc that can run as a plex server and just need a NAS for storage then you can use a basic "J" series.

Oh and if it can download torrents directly without me having to download and transfer manually that would be great. :)
Even an entry one can run Download Station manager that can run torrents, so regarding that, you are covered.

TL;DR - The point is with Plex you will have to invest if you want it to run without any problems on your NAS. This potentially means Plex Pass as well (if you decide to go for a NAS with QuickSync transcode feature, in order to unlock hardware transcode).

Even though you "wasted" 100 atm, still means that Synology NAS will cost you a lot more tbh. If you are keen on using it as a Plex server then that might be in a mid-range when it comes to Synology NAS models, but then again you could use an entry model, depending on what will be a Plex server.

Also, your Plex clients play a role in this as well. The point with plex is if your clients are compatible with the media type/format that you want to play then you can have an entry-level NAS that will simply keep your content. If your devices will need any type of transcoding then the Plex server (a device that will have the installation running) will need to be capable of running real-time transcoding and then pushing the stream to your clients.

If you want your NAS to be a plex server and at some point transcode then you are looking into any "+" model Synology NAS (250-300€ and above). If you have a pc that can run as a plex server and just need a NAS for storage then you can use a basic "J" series.

Even an entry one can run Download Station manager that can run torrents, so regarding that, you are covered.

TL;DR - The point is with Plex you will have to invest if you want it to run without any problems on your NAS. This potentially means Plex Pass as well (if you decide to go for a NAS with QuickSync transcode feature, in order to unlock hardware transcode).
Hmm yeah I think I’ll put it off for now because I really don’t think it’s something I am keen to invest in after this experience.
Please just never get a WD My Cloud Home unless it’s for your grandma to backup her phone’s camera album or something.

btw thank you and others for replying and offering some help

@Dora you've talked about setting up a Plex server but not how you had planned to playback, or using what tech.

Maybe there’s something we can suggest to help you get the WD to work for now.

As for Plex client needing Internet access for authentication then that is true. But provided you don’t logout or switch users then the login should still work without Internet.

Plex server also has a DLNA media server which can be used without Plex clients. Maybe your playback device could use that?

Don't give up on the MyCloud. Depending on your setup, you may just need a different media server. I use Kodi for playing music and video files from my MyClouds (several) and Synology NAS. MyClouds can be a bit flaky when it comes to remote access but on a home network, they work just fine. Just post back if you would like more information.

Ah, yes. Don’t know much about the home series but haven’t heard good things about them.

Do you actually need a media server if you are only using the media within your home setup and not via the internet? Assuming you have the mp3 or mp4 files, for example - for audio and video, on your WD MyCloud, simply access them as files via something like VLC as that runs on most platforms.

I guess this chap has even forgot this thread but I used same WD MyCloud for films and music in my home network. I had it working all good no complaints. I used to have it all runing great with Kodi (also VLC good) but found the layout was better with Kodi. It came in handy when the internet DID go down as you dont need to connect to the internet for it all to work. VLC same dont need internet also the TV players worked off it fine. For the price and a starter it ran fine (in fact still got but turned off) I moved up to a 5 bay NAS as it was offered 2nd hand off a friend just been refurbished by Synology and got more ram (now 8gb) and chip/fix upgrade parts DS1515+ but I never once had a problem with my WD machine it never let me down. Runs great off a Firestick

Yes, my MyCloud (not MyCloud Home) devices worked great for ~8 years until WD cut off support and remote access to them. Now they are good for local storage only. Still works great for Kodi and I'd be surprised if the OP (or anyone else with a MyCloud Home) couldn't get a local server setup with their MyCloud Home NAS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.