NAS
DS916+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello all,

I seem to be going round in circles.

I have been using my BT Home router and its Dynamic DNS service to update my DDNS at No-IP.com. This allows me to utilise various apps (NextCloud, PLEX etc) on my home Synology NAS.

I have now moved to my own hosting site and have a dedicated website address, and so no longer require No-IP.

I have looked high and low, but I can not see how I can get my BT router to update my hosted site with the routers current dynamic IP address?

Does anyone happen to know what I'm doing wrong? If it turns out that this is a limitation of the BT router, can anyone recommend a replacement router?

Kind regards.

I have now moved to my own hosting site
Moved to be hosted from your NAS I'm guessing? If so then I'm not sure what's on that "dedicated website address" and what's still on dynamic.

Can you give a bit more details?

I think you may be going about it the wrong way. If you use your routers address everytime it reboots or drops connection you will lose access as the IP address will change. Best thing to do is use the ddns as the cname. That way the cname points to your ddns, which then bounces to your BT router.

I'm currently at work but sure someone will pop along and tidy my explanation up. I just wanted you to know the router is unlikely to be the issue.

Hello,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

This is all still very new to me and so apologies if any of the terminology is incorrect.

The hosting site I settled fow is "Hostinger.com". From them I paid for a domain which also gives me the ability to have numerous subdomains (one for easy reverse proxy app, NextCloud, PLEX etc).

I used to use No-IP.com which my BT Router would update with its dynamic IP Address, allowing me to simply type in my No-IP address remotely and access my NAS at home. Unfortunately however, No-IP does not support subdomains and so I moved to paying for the dedicated domain from Hostinger.

I hope this helps.

(For reference, I have attached a copy of my routers Dynamic DNS page if that assists).

Attachments

• 20200507_122613.jpg
    20200507_122613.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 32
I think you may be going about it the wrong way. If you use your routers address everytime it reboots or drops connection you will lose access as the IP address will change. Best thing to do is use the ddns as the cname. That way the cname points to your ddns, which then bounces to your BT router.

I'm currently at work but sure someone will pop along and tidy my explanation up. I just wanted you to know the router is unlikely to be the issue.

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, my connection would in effect be daisychained; home router - No-IP DNS - hosting site?

Kind regards.

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, my connection would in effect be daisychained; home router - No-IP DNS - hosting site?

Kind regards.
correct and the other way around as well, Internet > hosting > no ip > home router

Can I ask if there is any reason why did not use the synology.me ddns? This would allow you to use subdomains as that's how I have access working for the applications that I need SSL certs for on my NAS.

To be honest, when I was trying to simplify things, I have complicated them. I mistakenly confused Quick Connect and Synology Ddns as the same thing and in turn thinking that only Synology apps could be used with Synology DDNS.

I live and learn. :)

correct and the other way around as well, Internet > hosting > no ip > home router

With it being linked in such a way, would subdomains cause an issue and in turn break the reverse proxy? If the hosting site simply links to NoIP and in turn then relays to my home NAS, how will NoIP differentiate between the subdomains? Or will I need a new NoIP host name per app, such as;

PLEX.homedomain.com -> NoIPname1.ddns.com -> Home Synology reverse proxy for PLEX
NextCloud.homedomain.com -> NoIPname2.ddns.com -> Home Synology reverse proxy for NextCloud
Sabnzbd.homedomain.com -> NoIPname3.ddns.com -> Home Synology reverse proxy for Sabnzbd

noip will be a single one. Your domain cnames and reverse records on the NAS side will be the ones that separate requests.

noip is only there to route all plex, nc, sab etc requests to your NAS. Then reverse proxy will route them internally to specific services.

noip will be a single one. Your domain cnames and reverse records on the NAS side will be the ones that separate requests.

noip is only there to route all plex, nc, sab etc requests to your NAS. Then reverse proxy will route them internally to specific services.

Many thanks for clarifying, and everyone else for that matter. I think I'm going to need a little longer than this bank holiday weekend to get my head around all this. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Can I ask if there is any reason why did not use the synology.me ddns? This would allow you to use subdomains as that's how I have access working for the applications that I need SSL certs for on my NAS.

Hello Adrian,

I have given your comment more thought and I think it would be beneficial if I went down the synology.me ddns route. Not only would this save me hassle, but easing the headache I have given myself with trying to set this up with my limited experience.

Do you think this is the best option?

*Update, I've just cancelled my hosting services. Looks like I'll be on the look out for a beginners guide to synology.me ddns. :LOL:

Are you possibly able to give me a push in the right direction please regarding any tutorials to link synology.me ddns and reverse proxys?

Good news (well for me anyway),

I've managed to setup reverse proxy using my Synology.me ddns (screenshot attached).

For each of the rules I have enabled "HSTS" and have ensured that each source protocol is "HTTPS". I have removed all port forwarding rules from my router and I can still connect, however each time I need to enter HTTPS prior to my Synology ddns address. Is there anyway for this to be done automatically? Ie just type into my browser remotely; xxxxx.xxxxxx.synology.me

Secondly, I receive a "This server could not prove that it is xxxxx.xxxxxxx.synology.me; it's security certificate is from xxxxxx.synology.me." Do I need a certificate from Letsencrypt for each subdomain? Can't the certificate I have for xxxxxx.synology.me cover them all? Is this were a" wildcard" comes into play that I've read about?

I want to double down efforts of making my NAS as secure as possible, as for too long security was a distant afterthought.

Thanks again for everyone's help, it is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200507_175934.jpg
    20200507_175934.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 27
Is there anyway for this to be done automatically? Ie just type into my browser remotely; xxxxx.xxxxxx.synology.me

Is this were a" wildcard" comes into play that I've read about?
Correct

Last question (for today) I promise, but to have all the above working and be able to remotely connect, I need to enable DMZ on my router. When I disable it, things simply won't connect. I have read that DMZ should not be activated if it can be helped. Is this correct? If so, how can I disable it but keep things running?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
To be honest I thought about what everyone said on here, and my expertise is not enough to get it working and so I closed the domain and utilised the synology.me ddns instead, whilst saving some money. I'm really happy with it now, just need to iron out a few little bugs like this pesky DMZ issue. Other than that, I'm another satisfied customer.

I don't know if this (attached screenshot) is causing issues, I only have one router, or maybe there are still remnants somewhere of my NO-IP ddns?

Attachments

• 20200507_192342.jpg
    20200507_192342.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 15

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.