Mysterious subdir ._DAV in some Synology SMB folders since installing RAIDrive for webDAV access

Currently reading
Mysterious subdir ._DAV in some Synology SMB folders since installing RAIDrive for webDAV access

NAS
DS412+
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
On my DSM 6.x DS412+ I used RAIdrive to get webDAV share going to test alternatives for wider internet access to my files.
Recently on checking some folders in the NAS, new subdirectories with the ._DAV names were created with added suffixes for files like
Glidermatic-GTS-nnn-Prog-New-or-Addnl-Handsets.pdf.dir (see this .dir and also another with .pag appended to references to my real file)

Is this the result of a webDEV connection, created by Synology webDAV process of my DSM OS ?

Welcome to the forum.

I've not see ._DAV files before. I'm now using DSM 7 but don't recall them before on any WebDAV service I've run (Mac OS X Server, or DSM).

I just mounted my home folder using WebDAV in Mac's Finder and copied some files across, and created a new folder. Using Mac's Finder (with '.' files visible), File Station, and SSH'ed to the NAS none of these show any ._DAV files. All that is created on the NAS are the new copies of the files/folder plus some files got the Mac. However, some files but not all get a hidden ._filename.ext on the NAS and this happens whether I copy using Mac Finder or command line using Mac's Terminal. These files get removed when the associate file is removed.

Did you mean a file specifically called ._DAV or did you mean generically, where specific instances would be ._filename.ext?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back