Namecheap DDNS configuration

NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm a new and happy user of a DS923+, and I try for the first to enable DDNS for a domain-name I host at namecheap.com.

I read their guide for enabling DDNS on namecheap.com, and their other guide for creating generating a compatible Query URL, and settled on the following configuration:
  • An A record and A + Dynamic DNS Record configured on Namecheap (both are required, see 1st tutorial mentioned above)
  • The following query-url works when entering from my browser: https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=[host of A record on Namecheap]&domain=[domainname]&password=[password given by Namecheap]&ip=[my ip]
  • But when I try to use the same query from the DDNS section of my NAS I fail.
The query for the DDNS on Synology is: https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=[A record host]&domain=__HOSTNAME__&password=__PASSWORD__&ip=__MYIP__, and Synology initially says this is fine! See below (important information deleted of-course):

Screenshot from 2023-12-08 18-04-06.png

When I accept and try to update the DNS, it fails and claims "Failed to connect to server". Moreover, when I come to edit the parameters of the DDNS, I find out the password has been changed to 12345678.

I would appreciate any help given to me. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

I never got it to work. In the end I maintained Namecheap DDNS via DNS-o-Matic, which is a service from OpenDNS (now owned by Cisco). With DSM 7 Synology removed DNS-o-Matic from their included list of supported DNS services so a custom service has to be added. I wrote about that here:DSM 7.0 - DSM 7 removes some DDNS services

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.