Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? Yes

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: SHR

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia

Max budget for this setup: 500 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 1

Any preferred network connectivity? 1G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN only

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: OneDrive, other: iCloud, iDrive(?)

I have 2 PCs (one daily and one for gaming) with a few external HDDs storing media files and other data.

Nearly all of my media files are stored on an old USB2.0 Drobo (DAS) that was formatted as HFS+ as it was connected to an iMac, that I no longer use. The Drobo has around 7-8TB of data on it across 2 x 4TB drives and 2 x 3TB drives.

Given the unknown state of Drobo and my move to Windows, I am looking at buying a NAS to store the data on a device that I can share between the 2 PCs plus an AppleTV.

Most documents are in iCloud or on oneDrive. I am looking at a cloud storage/backup solution such as iDrive or backblaze to backup data on the PCs' HDDs, external drives and the Drobo. I also intend on getting an 8TB HDD to copy the data from the Drobo to make it easier to upload to a cloud backup and then to the NAS. I would repurpose this drive either in the gaming PC (consolidate 3 other HDDs) or keep using it as another backup.

At this stage, my main uses for a NAS is to replace the Drobo using the existing HDDs (hence being attracted to SHR) and use it for storage, file sharing (limited) and media streaming down the track (not a main use at this stage). I currently use Kodi but can use Plex in the future.

Located in Australia so budget is a bit of a guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.