Max budget for this setup: 1000 GBP

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 8

Any preferred network connectivity? /

Where will this NAS be used: LAN only

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: /

Additional information:
Hi,
I am interested in DS720+ with 2 x 6TB HDD, cache memory, and additional 4GB memory.

The DS720+ is the current top two bay, which I guess you know as you mention the cache and expandable RAM.

Synology says to use their branded RAM though there’s plenty of people using third party modules (the same modules for the DS220/720/420/920/1520+).

For cache you should wait until the builtin advisor feature can give you guidance on what size you should need… it’s based on monitoring usage over a week or so.

With 2-bay unit if you care about data/availability you are pretty much limited only to RAID 1 i.e. Mirror so it all depends on how much storage you need since you "loose" amount of 1 drive with mirroring and you will have only 6TB of space (actually less when formatted due 1024 vs 1000 bytes calculation).

For 8 users unless is some very small files (like DOC/TEXT stuff) i can hardly imagine 5.x TB is enough space for longer period?
I'd check if it fits to your budget and maybe go with 4 bay NAS (like DS 420+ or 920+ in case you really need more RAM and then go with RAID 5 or SHR1)

Last edited:
Happy with 720+ also, though finding a supported Cache Nvme can be painful.... as most of the high end units on that list have sold out, and newer models replace them, which aren't on the list! (Request to Support for direction or verification of newer model's acceptability get replied with link to same list that started the Support request)....

Here Each stuffed with 4GB Ram expansion (one unit Synology, other Crucial) and all 7200 RPM CMR Seagate's: 6TB Ironwolf's in one (Supported), Older 1TB Barracuda's with patched Firmware retired from a Raid 0 array from video editing system (Un-Supported, but used anyway!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.