Need advice NAS acquisition advice for balma: enthusiast, 1000 EUR

NAS
DS 416, DS 414
Usage type: enthusiast

Preferred form factor DS (DiskStation)

Number of bays: 4-bays

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? Yes

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: RAID 5

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, business (virtual machines, mail, office, etc.), surveillance, utilities (docker, VPN, reverse proxy, web hosting, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 1000 EUR

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 4

Any preferred network connectivity? /

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: /

Additional information:
Hi there,

im planing on upgrading my Syno NAS from a 416 to a 1522+ or 923+.
Each would run on a RAID 5 with 4x10GB WD.
In case of the 1522+ i would use the 5th bay for a SSD to host the VM /Dokker images.
I would like touse SMB Fileserver and one VM plus some (2-3) Docker container.
Media Server is used also, but i'm only hosting via NFS and watch over Kodi. So i think there is no need for an imbedded Graficprocessor, right?
But how does a VM behave with an Rysen 1600 without grafics? Any experience with that? I'm planning to use a Win10 or 11 VM and there will be some cases i have to play webvideos via browser or vlc.
is this possible or do or have to get a 920+ with an Intel CPU instead?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to your answers.

Cheers Marcel

But how does a VM behave with an Rysen 1600 without grafics?
Maybe this will help out - Synology DS1522+ review

is this possible or do or have to get a 920+ with an Intel CPU instead?
With 923 coming out before the year is over, I'm sure that 920 is still up for grabs. From the point of VM needs, the 1522 or 923 (both with AMD CPUs) will be a better match for VM needs than the Celeron in 920 models.

1522 vs 923 will have minimal differences, in fact, other then the obvious one-bay difference, the rest will be pretty much identical.

Maybe this will help out - Synology DS1522+ review
Hi Rusty, thx for the link. i already sow this and he says ist gonna be fine for office and data but he doesn't refer to webvideo or video with a player(vlc). Not able to use photoshop is fine for me.
If you knnow other sources relatet i'd appreciate it.

With 923 coming out before the year is over, I'm sure that 920 is still up for grabs. From the point of VM needs, the 1522 or 923 (both with AMD CPUs) will be a better match for VM needs than the Celeron in 920 models.

1522 vs 923 will have minimal differences, in fact, other then the obvious one-bay difference, the rest will be pretty much identical.
Thank you. I think it's gonna be the 1522+ then, as long as i can use the video thing at the vm.

Hi Rusty, thx for the link. i already sow this and he says ist gonna be fine for office and data but he doesn't refer to webvideo or video with a player(vlc). Not able to use photoshop is fine for me.
If you knnow other sources relatet i'd appreciate it.

Thank you. I think it's gonna be the 1522+ then, as long as i can use the video thing at the vm.
Thats actually my review 😂. If by webvideo you mean streaming, it will work as much as it can work via a remote session towards a virtual machine. Will it be like playing it on bare metal? No. Will it “work”, sure it will but I wouldn’t use it for a daily use myself.

VLC playback will ofc also work but again, running something like that in a VM will not be the same as bare metal.

Thats actually my review 😂. If by webvideo you mean streaming, it will work as much as it can work via a remote session towards a virtual machine. Will it be like playing it on bare metal? No. Will it “work”, sure it will but I wouldn’t use it for a daily use myself.

VLC playback will ofc also work but again, running something like that in a VM will not be the same as bare metal.

Thanks for the nice review too! ;)
How do you connect to the vm? Do you use the Windows RDP client, Anydesk or Teamviewer, VNC?
I set up an vm in Virtualbox at my PC and connected via Windows RDP client, Anydesk or Teamviewer to the vm.
Anydesk and Teamviewer are very laggy with streams.
The Windows RDP Client is running smooth on this LAN and behaves very close to bare metal to me.

Thanks for the nice review too! ;)
How do you connect to the vm? Do you use the Windows RDP client, Anydesk or Teamviewer, VNC?
I set up an vm in Virtualbox at my PC and connected via Windows RDP client, Anydesk or Teamviewer to the vm.
Anydesk and Teamviewer are very laggy with streams.
The Windows RDP Client is running smooth on this LAN and behaves very close to bare metal to me.
Rdp is the only client that will work the best and yes, it will work what you want, but it won’t be bare metal is all i’m saying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.