1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS

Usage type: home

Preferred form factor DS (DiskStation)

Number of bays: 2-bays

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? No

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: not sure

This NAS will be used for: utilities (docker, VPN, reverse proxy, web hosting, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 600 GBP

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 1

Any preferred network connectivity? /

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: /

Thanks fredbert, have already been looking at 220+, is there likely to be a big difference when new models are released? Especially for a newbie like myself!

Thanks fredbert, have already been looking at 220+, is there likely to be a big difference when new models are released? Especially for a newbie like myself!
The update to the current 220+ will be the new DS224+ (not 3) as it will hit the market in H2 of 2023. Atm there are no official details but it should be a 2bay version of the recently released 4bay model, the DS423+ (March 15th).

If that’s the case then the main improvement would be to the CPU, going from the Intel dual core to quad (which is the CPU that was in the DS720+). It runs in my DS1520+ and I’ve been really happy with it, still am.

If you can wait then I would, but the DS220+ would still be a good NAS if you can’t. Speaking as some that didn’t see the Mac Mini M2 coming three months later, but my Mac Mini M1 is a great device and I’m now over feeling bitter 😀

If that’s the case then the main improvement would be to the CPU, going from the Intel dual core to quad (which is the CPU that was in the DS720+). It runs in my DS1520+ and I’ve been really happy with it, still am.

If you can wait then I would, but the DS220+ would still be a good NAS if you can’t. Speaking as some that didn’t see the Mac Mini M2 coming three months later, but my Mac Mini M1 is a great device and I’m now over feeling bitter 😀
I really like the idea using old mac mini as NAS, esp. it is much powerful for docker application. For home user 2 bay or even single bay would be enough, besides macOS has a bunch of apps, incl. monitoring HDD health.

for a 2014/2015 mac mini has quad core up to 4.0Ghz and 16Gb RAM is over-killing any NAS, a 4TB HDD is for me pretty enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.