4. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Usage type: enthusiast

Preferred form factor any

Number of bays: 6-bays or more

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? Yes

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: SHR

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, business (virtual machines, mail, office, etc.), utilities (docker, VPN, reverse proxy, web hosting, etc.), downloads (torrents, USENET, WebDAV, FTP, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 2500 EUR

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 5

Any preferred network connectivity? 10G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: LAG, failover, 10G

Special cloud provider connectivity: AWS, Google Drive, OneDrive

Additional information:
Transcoding would be helpfull.

Welcome to the forum.

I'll say it off the bat, you cant have it all. Transcoding in 6 or more bays does not exist as none of the models have an Intel QuickSync capable CPU.

Saying this, and regarding your other demands, there is a number of devices that would fit the bill.

DS1621xs+ with a built-in 10G for about 2k€ would be my personal choice as it comes with a better CPU than 1821+ or its rack version 1221. On top of this it has double the ram as well, and 2NVMe slots if needed.

Most of the x21 series are running AMD CPU and that's not transcoding friendly, and also, the higher you go you are getting back into Xeon territory with 5y old CPUs with no QuickSync.

Thanks for your reply. I did not have the DS1621xs+ on the radar but thanks to your comment it looks like a good solution.
With NVMe and 10 Gbe I would save on an Addon card. If I need more drives a DX517 might be a good add-on.
If Synology was more flexible I could solve the transcoding challenge with an addon gpu card.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.