1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Usage type: home

Preferred form factor DS (DiskStation)

Number of bays: 4-bays

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? Yes

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: not sure

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, surveillance, downloads (torrents, USENET, WebDAV, FTP, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 800 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 2

Any preferred network connectivity? 1G, 10G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: OneDrive

Additional information:
If it has two lan ports can I use one for Surveillance via POE switch and the other for network? I only need WAN for Surveillance at this time.
Files are my wife and my files, tons of our photos and videos and I have ripped all our DVDs and Blu-Rays. Presently use Infuse on Apple TV to consume video.
Currently have 218J with one 12TB WD Red NAS. Have 12TB External for backup. Want to add second drive in Raid for drive fail protection then store external off site.
Surveillance 6-8 cameras that are to be added. Cat5 is installed.
Currently sync all but movies to OneDrive.
10g lan not required but makes sense to me.
Thank you!

For that price and that number of bays, 920+. There are several 4bay NAS devices atm, but I would suggest going for the 920+.

420+ is only a little cheaper and really no point in getting it. 420j on the other hand is imho not something you want to look at with all those tasks and expectations aligned.

The DS920+ is the most performant 4-bay in desktop format. All desktop 4-bay NAS have two 1 GbE, except the DS420j which only has one.

4x 3.5" / 2.5" drives, better to worse: DS920+ > DS420+ > DS418 > DS420j

The Intel CPU supports more of Synology's add-on packages, e..g. Docker, Virtual Machine Manager, MailPlus. Having expandable RAM allows for growth if you need it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.