This NAS will be used for: multimedia

Max budget for this setup: 700 EUR

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 1

Any preferred network connectivity? /

Where will this NAS be used: LAN only

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: /

Additional information:
I want to use this as a Plex sever and will not be needing to transcode, all files to be played on my 2020 Shield Pro at full resolution.
My media is minimum 1080p up to x265 4k HDR 10bit
-- post merged: --

£700 budget is for a bare NAS

If you will use a NAS a pure storage and you have the drives already you will def go under budget for this setup. DS920+ (top 4 bay) is around 550+/- and DS420+ (not worth it compared to 920) is about 485 +/-.

For this amount, you could go for more storage or simply get higher-capacity drives.

Another option as a pure storage device is DS420J (less than 300+/-) if you want to really save considering your current Plex setup.

If you have any other plans other than pure storage I would vote 920+ as a 4 bay solution in any case.

Thanks again, always a good feeling when your instinct is backed up by someone with more knowledge than you.
-- post merged: --

If you will use a NAS a pure storage and you have the drives already you will def go under budget for this setup. DS920+ (top 4 bay) is around 550+/- and DS420+ (not worth it compared to 920) is about 485 +/-.

For this amount, you could go for more storage or simply get higher-capacity drives.

Another option as a pure storage device is DS420J (less than 300+/-) if you want to really save considering your current Plex setup.

If you have any other plans other than pure storage I would vote 920+ as a 4 bay solution in any case.
I am thinking of these upgrades, money well spent?

I am thinking of these upgrades, money well spent?
That depends. Guessing you are going for 920 then? In any case, RAM upgrades will be always welcome.

NVMe drives will be beneficial if you are running HDD arrays for sure, but again it will depend on what. If you will be running the Plex server of the NAS those would help with metadata presentation towards your Plex clients, transcoding, etc, but if the NAS will be a pure storage location and for media on top of that, you would be wasting your money on the cache slots.

Again, extra RAM is always welcome but with an initial 4GB and a pure storage role, it will be more than enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.