DS916+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Usage type: enthusiast

Preferred form factor DS (DiskStation)

Number of bays: 6-bays or more

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? No

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: RAID 5

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, utilities (docker, VPN, reverse proxy, web hosting, etc.), downloads (torrents, USENET, WebDAV, FTP, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 1700 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 5

Any preferred network connectivity? 1G, 10G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: DB, Google Drive, OneDrive

Additional information:
I presently have a DS916+, and I have a rack-mounted 74Gb Unraid Server. I am looking to have a backup to the Unraid server to eventually be my Plex/Emby Media server.

I appreciate any help in advance.

=Semper Fi
gyrene2083

Looking at the budget limitation (guessing the drives need to be accounted as well), you are looking at DS1621+ or DS1821+ models.

Practically identical apart from number of bays and some USB ports.

Looking at the budget limitation (guessing the drives need to be accounted as well), you are looking at DS1621+ or DS1821+ models.

Practically identical apart from number of bays and some USB ports.
Thank you for the response Rusty. I was actually just looking to spend around 1700 - 2000 on the Synology itself. I have the drives already. This is a long-term project I am fine with that. Any thoughts on the new information?

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

Thank you for the response Rusty. I was actually just looking to spend around 1700 - 2000 on the Synology itself. I have the drives already. This is a long-term project I am fine with that. Any thoughts on the new information?

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
Well ds1621xs+ would be the only other device that would be a step up compared to those 2 previously mentioned. Depends is you can find it at that price range.

Apart from that those mentioned before are models that fit the budget and number of bays. Anything bigger then that will cross well over 2,5K+

Thanks again, I was actually looking at the ds1621xs+, but wanted confirmation my thinking where valid. My thinking was although I have a ds916+, I can't back up my media collection and run it well should my unraid server fail. So, I am going to retire it to just do backups. Again I appreciate all your help.

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.