This NAS will be used for: backup

Max budget for this setup: 1000 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 2

Any preferred network connectivity? 1G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: other: iDrive

Last edited:
edited: @Hank Jones oops, missed the 1520+ is 5-bay ... biggest selling point!

RAID 6 or SHR-2 will need a 4-bay NAS, at minimum.

[The naming convention is DSxNNseries: DS for disk station; x for maximum bays, with expansion modules where supported; NN for release year; series denotes the performance, where 'j' is the lowest.]

If you are likely to use this for more than just plain backup then I would avoid the DS420j, which hits the bare minimum spec for DSM 7. So that leaves the long-in-the-tooth DS418 which really needs an update, so if this one meets your needs I would wait to see if the is a DS422/423 announced soon.

Other than these two, you will then be in the 'plus' range and are capable of doing a lot more too:
  • DS420+ (like a DS220+ (same dual-core CPU and 2GB RAM) but with 4-bays, and SSD cache slots)
  • DS920+ (like a DS420+ but with quad-core CPU, double the installed RAM, supports an expansion unit)
  • DS1520+ (like a DS920+ (same CPU) but with 5-bays, double the installed RAM, two more 1GbE, supports another expansion unit).
Expansion units are an expensive way to add bays, plus they attach using a single eSata cable and spanning a RAID pool across to them isn't recommended. It's best to get the bays in a main NAS unit.

iDrive support is available via their own application from within DSM's Package Center.
1644572609142.png

Since you already have the drives. Pinch a few more dollars for the tax and buy

Synology DiskStation DS1821+ 8-Bay

from BH photo video. I bought mine from Amazon when it was less expensive there. I believe today, BH is the best buy. They are reliable and professional if you aren't familiar with them.

Paul

edit... as of today 2/11/2022 the price is 999.99 at BH. $90 less than Amazon

Since you already have the drives. Pinch a few more dollars for the tax and buy

Synology DiskStation DS1821+ 8-Bay

from BH photo video. I bought mine from Amazon when it was less expensive there. I believe today, BH is the best buy. They are reliable and professional if you aren't familiar with them.

Paul

edit... as of today 2/11/2022 the price is 999.99 at BH. $90 less than Amazon
[Synology DiskStation DS1821+ 8-Bay]
Good plan -- Will use the 1821+ gives added capacity when needed.
Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.