1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS

Usage type: home

Preferred form factor /

Number of bays: 4-bays

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? Yes

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: SHR

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, utilities (docker, VPN, reverse proxy, web hosting, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 1600 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 4

Any preferred network connectivity? 1G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: Synology C2, OneDrive

Additional information:
Currently have a DS918+, running jellyfin, audiobookshelf both in docker, and the synology photos, drive, files app, and WebDAV. This does everything I want without issues. My dad has a 213j I manage and I have an old 213j I sent to my sisters house. Both my dads 213j (just SMB local folders) and my 918 backup offsite to the 213j I sent to my sisters.

I have four 6TB HD in my 918+ and running low on space. I have a $1600 gift card from Amazon so as I was pricing out just updating all the hard drives in my 918+, was considering possible just getting a second local NAS and then getting 2-3 HD now (between 16-20TB) and then adding a few down the road. This would relegate the 918+ to backup duties.

From what I can see the 923+ no longer has hardware transcoding for jellyfin, but I could still probably run this on my 918+ if needed.

Questions for the group:
1) is the 923+ a big upgrade from 918? (Or would you just buy four of the 16-20TB hd for my 918+)
2) is the 923 have any huge benefits over 423?
3) since I started looking at a new NAS and would lose HW transcodiignsnyhow, I am also going down the road of considering a 5 bay like 1522 (or 6, or 8.....) I like the idea of SHR2, but these devices seem all focused on business and not really home user, any thoughts?

is the 923+ a big upgrade from 918? (Or would you just buy four of the 16-20TB hd for my 918+)
As someone that has 918 and tested 923 1st hand, I can say that it has the upper hand but only if you can utilize it. Again, 10G for one, better CPU, and more RAM for VM and docker needs, but other than that it's not a major upgrade if the 918 still serves its purpose in terms of services. DSM is and will be supported for at least 3-4 more years, so if storage is the issue just swap the drive then.

is the 923 have any huge benefits over 423?
923 vs 423 are your current 4-bay options. Apart from the fact that 923 does come with a 10G option and a more powerful setup overall, the 423, if you do need HW transcoding would be a better choice. True, you would lose, 10G, up to 32GB ram upgrade, a better CPU, and an option for the expansion bay unit, but if none of that matters to you, 423 would be my choice.

I am also going down the road of considering a 5 bay like 1522 (or 6, or 8.....) I like the idea of SHR2, but these devices seem all focused on business and not really home user, any thoughts?
Well, again, it all depends on the actual need from the storage side of things as well as services. You are well aware of what each device brings to the table by the looks of it, so you will have to decide on your own at the end of the 5bay (or larger) models that will be beneficial to you. SHR2 will bring more redundancy to the table, and if that is something you are going for then you will have no option but to go with larger disks and definitely with more bays.

In any event, the new x23 models are well built, more modern, and offer more features overall, but AMD ones are not media-friendly when it comes to hw transcoding. Apart from that, my vote would be x23, or 5bay x22 if you decide to go that route. The 8-bay model should also get a refresh considering that the 1823xs+ has arrived.

Last edited:
As someone that has 918 and tested 923 1st hand, I can say that it has the upper hand but only if you can utilize it. Again, 10G for one, better CPU, and more RAM for VM and docker needs, but other than that it's not a major upgrade if the 918 still serves its purpose in terms of services. DSM is and will be supported for at least 3-4 more years, so if storage is the issue just swap the drive then.

923 vs 423 are your current 4-bay options. Apart from the fact that 923 does come with a 10G option and a more powerful setup overall, the 423, if you do need HW transcoding would be a better choice. True, you would lose, 10G, up to 32GB ram upgrade, a better CPU, and an option for the expansion bay unit, but if none of that matters to you, 423 would be my choice.

Well, again, it all depends on the actual need from the storage side of things as well as services. You are well aware of what each device brings to the table by the looks of it, so you will have to decide on your own at the end of the 5bay (or larger) models that will be beneficial to you. SHR2 will bring more redundancy to the table, and if that is something you are going for then you will have no option but to go with larger disks and definitely with more bays.

In any event, the new x23 models are well built, more modern, and offer more features overall, but AMD ones are not media-friendly when it comes to hw transcoding. Apart from that, my vote would be x23, or 5bay x22 if you decide to go that route. The 8-bay model should also get a refresh considering that the 1823xs+ has arrived.
I think reading through your reply it probably confirms that there isn't much of an upgrade for me.

I probably need to go to a larger NAS with more bays, or just start upgrading hard drives in mine.

The cheapest option I was considering was maybe just replace 2 of my current 6TB hard drives with 16-18-20TB and then put the old 6TB hard drives in enclosures and rotate for backup off site. This would buy be quite a bit of time and then can upgrade in a few years.

Addendum:
I guess I may actually just buy another 2 bay NAS rather than 2 enclosures. A 223J isn't much more than 2 enclosures and doesn't require me to manually remember to swap drives. The 223 or 223+ are overkill for sure for backup but I could also use it offsite for family and bring my old 213J to my house as just backup, which may be a better plan.

Any of these options (223 with re-using teo 6TB drives gives me 12TB or backup, and with 2 18TB hard drives gives my 918+ 30TB usable) and still below my 1600 gift card.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.