Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Usage type: enthusiast

Preferred form factor DS (DiskStation)

Number of bays: 5-6

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? No

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: SHR2

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, downloads (torrents, USENET, WebDAV, FTP, etc.), Plex with possible Transcoding

Max budget for this setup: 1200

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 3-4

Any preferred network connectivity? 2.5G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: (DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

Special cloud provider connectivity: Google Drive, OneDrive

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Looking at these requests, you will have 2 current "fresh" models to choose from. DS1520+ or DS1621+ (not the 1621xs+ (that's outside the budget).

Personally, for several reasons, I would go for the 1621+. The more recent model, options to expand ram, and has a slot for an additional expansion card (your 2.5G network requirement). Even though non of the two models has 2.5G out of the box support, you can aggregate LAN cards that are 4 in total on the 1621+ model, and eventually expand with a 2.5 or 10G card using the PCI slot.

With a price tag at about 1000€ +/- it is within your budget and you will ofc future proof yourself with it for the long run.

Regarding your service requests, both models will do more than ok with any of those, and the 1520 model is also a strong device in this comparison but for a difference of about 100-150€ you get a better device with more options if you go for the 1621+ model.

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: SHR2
(not the 1621xs+ (that's outside the budget)
And the DS1621xs+ doesn't support SHR.

Max budget for this setup: 1200
What currency? It's important as £1 =/= €1 =/= $1 (US) =/= $1 (AU) =/= etc......

For a full comparison of the DS1520+ vs DS1621+ follow this link Synology DS1520+ vs DS1621+

The main differences I see are.
Feature​
DS1520+​
DS1621+​
CPUIntel with integrated GPUAMD
RAM (included)8GB (4GB soldered + 4GB slot) non-ECC4GB (4GB slot + 0GB slot) ECC
RAM (official max.)8GB non-ECC32GB ECC
Interfaces4x 1GbE4x 1Gbe
1x PCIe expansion slot
Disk bays (internal)
+ optional expansion unit
5 SATA
+ 2x DX517
6 SATA
+ 2x DX517

There have been threads on suitable third-party RAM for the DS1620+ that doesn't cost the earth.

I haven't used the DS1621+ with Plex so cannot say how it performs when using Plex and real time transcoding. Others can advise, or there are threads on this subject on the Plex forum.

Thanks guys! Do you know where can I find information regarding transcoding capabilities for both models?

Regarding currency, I meant USD $.

Do you know where can I find information regarding transcoding capabilities for both models?
Depends on the media platform. For plex, it would be best to go to their forums, and for native Video Station either here or on the official Synology community site.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.