Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS

Usage type: home

Preferred form factor DS (DiskStation)

Number of bays: 4-bays

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? No

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: RAID 5

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, surveillance, utilities (docker, VPN, reverse proxy, web hosting, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 1500 EUR

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 3

Any preferred network connectivity? 1G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: /

Additional information:
Hi i'm new to NAS devices, i want a home based area with central storage, cloud storage as replacement of our Dropboxes, probably use a VPN function and use multimedia shares. Im looking for Synology due to that the systems makes sense to me as a newbe and i have a friend running it for years so he can help out when i need it.

My choise has fallen on a Synology DS423+ 4 bay station.

But with the hard drives my choice is harder between cash, build quality and sound level.

Narrowed it down to 3 types of drives:

Seagate Ironwolf NAS ST8000VN004 7200RPM 8TB
(DS423+ with 4 HDDs €1272)

WD Red Plus WD80EFZZ 5600 RPM 8TB
(DS423+ with 4 HDDs €1349)

Seagate Ironwolf NAS ST8000VN002 5600RPM 8TB
(DS423+ with 4 HDDs €1345)

These sets are now in my current favorite order.

The setup will be standing in an open attick area.(staircase lets all the sound go trought te house, even my n scale modeltrain sounds 2 stories down almost as hard as in the attick)
Or in my little office next to our other 2 bedrooms.

So the level of sound is important to me. Ive searched for days now but cant get sure which to buy best.

The 7200rpm is the cheapest and fastest solution but probably the loudest to.

Hope to use the system for years coming thats why i directly go to 4 8TBs.

What advice could you guys and girls give me regarding the HDD's.

Greetz Marc

Did you look at the WD (formerly HGST) Ultrastar drive line?
Didn't look at that line before, do you recommend them?

The mentioned types are the common recommend types in The Netherlands shops and with the Seagate's they even offer a package deal that saves the cost of half a 8TB drive.

The ultrastar line is for business i believe? The business models tent to make more noise by default i heard at nascompares.
Will look in to them iff they are a suitable alternative in any way.

Welcome to the forum!

Just a point of note, Synology's drives, the HAT3300 lineup, has a new 8TB HAT3310 model coming out these days. While the DS423 with 4x8TB HAT3310 is still around 1500€ those drives have been upgraded from 5400 to 7200 RPM, so pointing it out in case you get an offer for those as well.

The fact is that 8TB drives no matter if they are 5400 or 7200, you will hear them. Seagate Ironwolf is by default, louder than WD as well.

Last edited:
Didn't look at that line before, do you recommend them?

The mentioned types are the common recommend types in The Netherlands shops and with the Seagate's they even offer a package deal that saves the cost of half a 8TB drive.

The ultrastar line is for business i believe? The business models tent to make more noise by default i heard at nascompares.
Will look in to them iff they are a suitable alternative in any way.
I do recommend them. I used to run primarily on the HGST Deskstar product line because they were cheaper, but HGST was acquired by WD a few years ago and I do not know what happened with it, so I have moved on to the Ultrastar line as WD did not change anything with it. They are 7200 RPM drives and a bit pricey, but they have been rock solid for me and have a very low rate of failure, which is a very important thing for me. The knock on them is that they can be a bit louder - I can say that the newer NAS models seem to have more noise dampening than older ones. I put two foam bumpers in each drive caddy to help with noise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.