Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited by a moderator:
Usage type: small biz

Preferred form factor any

Number of bays: 4-bays

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? Yes

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: not sure

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, business (virtual machines, mail, office, etc.), utilities (docker, VPN, reverse proxy, web hosting, etc.), downloads (torrents, USENET, WebDAV, FTP, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 1000 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 10

Any preferred network connectivity? 5G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: 10G

Special cloud provider connectivity: Synology C2

Additional information:
How to access my VMs that are hosted on Synology NAS using Putty in a local network?

:) Well that makes a bit of a difference! I check using UK £ with sales tax added (VAT) so probably the same price area.

The need for 10G network interface will be the main constraint here, but you will still have to provide a compatible 10G card plus RAM upgrades (if needed):
  • You can opt for a RackStation (RS820+) if a 4-bay is required
  • Or for a higher bay DiskStation you can go for a DS1621+ or DS1821+, being 6-bay and 8-bay options.
Another thing to note is to avoid the higher spec devices ('xs+' etc.) as Synology has started to mandate using their own brand HDD and SSD, and it will check the drives you use. The ones I've mentioned support other vendor HDD/SSD.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.