Max budget for this setup: 300 EUR

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 3

Any preferred network connectivity? /

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: /

Additional information:
Hi Forum,

I was originally looking for simple backup - basically just an external HD. When looking into this, I discovered an opportunity with NAS, that I may like: Accessing "old" film clips (i.e. family clips, when the kids were young) from various devices, e.g. tablet, mobile phone, chromecast on TV. I cannot think of any other (for me) important use than making sure old photos are safe (this was the original requirement).

I'm not really keen on spending EUR300+ for a DS220+ (just the case)
So I was thinking of getting a used DS214play... for EUR100.

Any thoughts/advice? Would that "ancient" equipment be able to deal with my listed needs?

Thanks!
Ulrich

Welcome to the forum!

Any thoughts/advice? Would that "ancient" equipment be able to deal with my listed needs?
There is nothing wrong in getting an older model considering that some models can run for a decade depending on your needs ofc.

In regards to your needs, it will depend on the fact can those devices handle any potential video transcoding on their end, because 214play is not the fastest device out there. If your devices can take the load of reproduction and processing on their end, then that device will be more then enough.

basically just an external HD
Keep in mind that NAS is not even close as an external HD especially if you are going to use it for external (out of your LAN) usage. Updates, security elements, all need to be considered when owning a NAS, as it is much more then just a single HDD.

Thanks, Rusty!
Not quite sure what you mean with "video transcoding". If I stream the videos via Chromecast on my not-so-smart-TV, which device does the transcoding (say: which device would have to be capable of it?)?
When using the tablet, I believe the tablet is capable - but I would hate to have to first download the video to then watch it. I'd like to watch it straight from clicking the link (hope you understand what I mean).
BTW: We are not talking 4K videos... simple stuff, from digital cameras 15 years ago

Regards, Ulrich

Chromecast on my not-so-smart-TV, which device does the transcoding
Chrome does the heavy lifting

I'd like to watch it straight from clicking the link (hope you understand what I mean)
this will depend on the platform of your choice that will serve your content. In any case if the streaming client devices are capable then this 214 will be just fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.