Need advice NAS acquisition advice for STFU: enthusiast, 2000 USD

Currently reading
Need advice NAS acquisition advice for STFU: enthusiast, 2000 USD

NAS
Still haven't found what I'm looking for...
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Usage type: enthusiast

Preferred form factor RS (RackStation)

Number of bays: 4-bays

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? No

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: RAID 5

This NAS will be used for: multimedia, utilities (docker, VPN, reverse proxy, web hosting, etc.)

Max budget for this setup: 2000 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 3

Any preferred network connectivity? 10G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN only

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: /

Additional information:
Ideal budget for the NAS (only) is under $1750 USD.
1 RU is preferred. 2 RU is OK.
10GB fiber (SFP+) connectivity is preferred. PCI slot to add a 10 GB card is required if not built in.

Looking for a small rackmount NAS fto run PLEX that won't choke on a 4K to 1K transcode.
If the CPU is strong enough...I may run a couple of VMs for testing at home...nothing serious.
I like the RS822 but the CPU seems weak.

Should I wait for the 2023 models or choose an older unit?

Should I wait for the 2023 models or choose an older unit?
There are no RS units in that budget that will transcode 4K to 1080p well (if at all). Atm there are 3 models (2x 1U, 1x 2U), that could fit the unit demand, but all are running AMD Ryzen (either V1500B, or R1600) that do not support HW transcode when it comes to Plex.

Those will run Plex with 0 issues but any transcode will be in software hitting the CPU hard when that happens. Non-4K transcode will work ok for those CPU, but 4K will be a major issue.

Have a look at this DS1522+ Plex review section as it runs the same CPU, so you can get a bit of a look and feel.

Also, 1U x23 models will not come any time soon as the RS422+ and RS822+ just got released not 6 months ago.

I would added to @Rusty's comments and his excellent reviews, that you could also check out the various recent videos from NAS Compares comparing different DS NAS performances with video playback and transcoding, focusing on the older NAS (e.g. DS920+) vs newer (DS1522+) or to put it Intel CPU with embedded GPU and AMD CPU without. You will see the Intel CPU fared better for H.265 transcoding. But if your playback devices can handle it without NAS transcoding then you'll have more choice :) Dig around in this feed...

Many of the newer [AMD] NAS being released now are getting a modular option to add a 10GbE copper unit. Prior to this you had to spend more on higher spec NAS to get PCI expansion options to add a card.

There are no RS units in that budget that will transcode 4K to 1080p well (if at all). Atm there are 3 models (2x 1U, 1x 2U), that could fit the unit demand, but all are running AMD Ryzen (either V1500B, or R1600) that do not support HW transcode when it comes to Plex.

Those will run Plex with 0 issues but any transcode will be in software hitting the CPU hard when that happens. Non-4K transcode will work ok for those CPU, but 4K will be a major issue.

Have a look at this DS1522+ Plex review section as it runs the same CPU, so you can get a bit of a look and feel.

Also, 1U x23 models will not come any time soon as the RS422+ and RS822+ just got released not 6 months ago.
This is what I was afraid of. I saw the NAS Compares video on the RS422 and a few others, which prompted me to ask.

Is there a good list of NAS CPUs that support hardware transcoding? Then I can narrow the field by that list.

Have you looked here? There's a Google doc link covering lots of NAS vendors.

Have you looked here? There's a Google doc link covering lots of NAS vendors.
Nope. Had not noticed that previously. Thank you for the pointer.

What I am seeing in the support spreadsheet is that none of the Rackstation series supports hardware transcoding.
Am I reading this correctly?
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
You are. RS and higher models were never targeted for media transcoding. Play lineup was as well as some + models on Intel celeron, that’s it.
You are. RS and higher models were never targeted for media transcoding. Play lineup was as well as some + models on Intel celeron, that’s it.
Rusty, help me understand something that is probably pretty basic but I am very new to Plex.
Keep in mind: I don't have many 4K files. Most are 1K. (Also, I will probably get a lifetime PlexPass)
Assuming that the client device can understand the file format, then the follwing would be true:
  1. Streaming a 4K file to a local TV that supports 4K = no transcoding.
  2. Steaming a 4K file to a local TV that supports 1080p = transcoding required.
  3. Steaming a 1080p file to a local TV that supports 1080p = no transcoding.
  4. Steaming a 1080p file to a local Tablet that supports 1080p = no transcoding.
  5. Steaming a 1080p file to a local Tablet that supports 720p = transcoding required.
Are these assumptions correct?

Nevermind...I found this:

I think you are right in your listed scenario assumptions. What you missed is that while the video may be supported by the playback device, and not transcoded, you also have to consider the audio track support. But you will probably find that real time transcoding of just the audio track will be OK: with a fair wind I was able to test stream a 1080p H.264 MKV video native and transcode DTS HD-MA to stereo using a DS215j... CPU was near max'ed out but it worked with that very low power NAS.

But that link you found is true, you can create offline transcoded versions if you need. With Plex you can have multiple file versions for the same item and you can select which you want to play.

I think you are right in your listed scenario assumptions. What you missed is that while the video may be supported by the playback device, and not transcoded, you also have to consider the audio track support. But you will probably find that real time transcoding of just the audio track will be OK: with a fair wind I was able to test stream a 1080p H.264 MKV video native and transcode DTS HD-MA to stereo using a DS215j... CPU was near max'ed out but it worked with that very low power NAS.

But that link you found is true, you can create offline transcoded versions if you need. With Plex you can have multiple file versions for the same item and you can select which you want to play.
Thank you for confirming.

Thank you for confirming.
Fred said it all as well as that article. Would like to just add that even subtitles can trigger transcoding as well so keep that in mind also. In general, if you want to avoid transcoding you will have to have clients that can handle everything on their end, you will have to manually transcode and recode the content to fit your setup, or get a device that can hw transcode. As you stated plex pass will be needed for that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.