1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Usage type: small biz

Preferred form factor DS (DiskStation)

Number of bays: 4-bays

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? Yes

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: /

This NAS will be used for: multimedia, business (virtual machines, mail, office, etc.), surveillance

Max budget for this setup: 1000 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 3

Any preferred network connectivity? /

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: /

Special cloud provider connectivity: Backblaze

Additional information:
Since 2015, or so, have used the DS213j with SHR, (2) 3Tb drives. Just replaced drives with (2) 6Tb; but I'm also interested in DSM 7 for 1) better photo storage and access (LAN & internet, replace use of G**gle Photos), 2) music library access (LAN & internet), and 3) Surveillance Station for 1 - 5 security cameras for home and home-office security. My DS213j only has 1/2 Gb of RAM, so I guess that's why it is not upgrading to DSM 7.

Hey, thanks so much for the quick recommendation! Wondering what would be the best way to utilize both the old DS213j and a a new DS920+. Or, if it would make more sense to keep it simple by retiring the 213.

Could I take the (2) drives out of the 213 and put them in the 920 to start using it? Maybe this "transition" question/discussion belongs in another part of the forum! I'm new here... Thanks again.

Maybe this "transition" question/discussion belongs in another part of the forum
We can continue here considering it’s related to your specific situation and potential purchase.

Wondering what would be the best way to utilize both the old DS213j and a a new DS920+. Or, if it would make more sense to keep it simple by retiring the 213.
Personally I would use it as a secondary unit for backup of the new (920) NAS.

Could I take the (2) drives out of the 213 and put them in the 920 to start using it?
Yes but not as a standard migration. J models can’t transition over to plus. You could wipe the drives and set them as new ones but not as a turn key migration.

Technically they can, but you would lose the opportunity for btrfs formatting, and the transferred volume would still be limited to 16TB.
True, but the official KB still lists this as a “non working” scenario. Not sure anyone would be happy using a 2021 model with limitations from before 2013

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.