3. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Usage type: home

Preferred form factor RS (RackStation) rack would be a 'nice to have' but I would certainly consider a desktop unit if it makes sense.

Number of bays: 6-bays or more (ideally least 8)

Do you have any existing drives that you plan on using? No

Prefered RAID array setup for this NAS: SHR

This NAS will be used for: backup, multimedia, some other smaller tasks

Max budget for this setup: 1500 USD

Number of users that will utilize this NAS: 1

Any preferred network connectivity? 10G

Where will this NAS be used: LAN and over the Internet

Any special network requirements: 10G

Special cloud provider connectivity: /

There is only one model that fits the RS profile in that price point with an optional 10G support (separate card), and that's RS1221+.

Apart from that, there is a desktop version DS1621xs+ with 10G onboard already with a slightly higher price point and 2 bays less.

Also DS model is running Intel while RS is running AMD CPU so be sure to focus on that regarding app and services support.

Additionally, be sure to check the HDD/SSD support for each considering Synology's new drive compatibility policy.

I'm sorry for the very late response to your assessment.. I did in fact pick up the 1221+ recently. I've only had it a few days and just purchased some drives for it. So far looks like what I was looking for, rackmount, doesn't have an abhorrently slow CPU yet doesnt draw a lot of power (like my unraid box does). You were on point. thank you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.