NAS change

NAS
DS2413+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,

At the moment I'm using a DS2413+ with 12x4TB disks running in RAID6, and I have 4GB of RAM installed, maximum for the 2413+.

Lately I found that operations on the NAS take very long, I'm doing a lot of archiving (rar, zip, 7z...) with loads of files, and I thought it might be due to having not enough memory.

Now I have 2 questions:

I perhaps want to upgrade the 2413+ to a newer 2419+, that has already 4GB of RAM integrated and is upgradable to 32GB. Would 32GB make any sense or would 16GB already be enough? Theoretically it would be 20GB, adding 16TB to the existing 4GB.

Anyways, is the RAM the problem that's causing these slow operations?

And if I change NAS, can I remove my disks from my current NAS and install them into a new NAS so that they are recognized straight away, or is it not possible that way? Because I don't wanna buy now 12 more disks.

Thanks

can I remove my disks from my current NAS and install them into a new NAS so that they are recognized straight away, or is it not possible that way?
It is

Anyways, is the RAM the problem that's causing these slow operations?
If you are running out of ram (depending on the number of operations and apps) dsm could be swapping out and making the operation slower. So yes, more ram will mean more breathing room, but again, depends on the app configuration and usage.

Lately I found that operations on the NAS take very long
Resource manager telling you anything? What element is the problem (CPU, ram, hdds, volume etc)?

You can easily test if the zip activities are heavy on CPU and/or RAM by monitoring the resource usage either via DSM's Resource Manager or from the SSH command line.

I just had a try on my Mac by compressing a 16GB disk image file. The CPU shot up but the RAM didn't move much.

Hm, when f.ex. extracting an archive of 50.000 small files, CPU goes up to 75%, but RAM stays under 30% only.

I use 1 volume in RAID6, disks are Hitachi HDS5C4040ALE630.

Archiving the same files back uses similar usage, but takes forever. Gonna post when it ends, so far at 1% after 7 minutes.

Still running at 66%, so almost 2 hours now.

Does it then really take that long, not even depending on the NAS CPU nor RAM?

Last edited:
Ok, so how about swapping HDDs out for faster ones, and perhaps bigger, like 8TB?

Any suggestions? What about Seagate IronWolf Pro disks?

Thanks

Ok, so how about swapping HDDs out for faster ones, and perhaps bigger, like 8TB?
That would work as a process ofc, but will it solve your speed problems, it's hard to say. Ofc faster drives should give you an extra kick especially if the CPU and ram utilization is not high atm.

Any suggestions?
Maybe some of the drives from a more enterprise range would be even better? Like gold or yellow WD series, or maybe even a solution with SSDs? Having a smaller but super-fast work volume with SSDs might give you the kick that you need and will def not be a choke point for these kinds of operations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.