NAS connected to local network but no internet?

Currently reading
NAS connected to local network but no internet?

Hi experts,

I have connected my NAS 112j to local network via cable and am able to connect to the NAS with my PC/iPad.

However the NAS does not have connection to the internet and can for instance not update/download apps.

What am I missing in my setup?
The UPnP is enabled on the router. Is this ok or do I need to do something else?
What settings do I need to apply on the NAS?

I would highly appreciate a quick reply for link to a previous post on this similar issue.

The UPnP is enabled on the router. Is this ok or do I need to do something else?
There is no need for this

What settings do I need to apply on the NAS?
Check your network setting on the NAS.

Control Panel > Network > Network Interfaces > (select your active adapter) > Edit > IPv4

How are the settings there? Specifically Gateway and DNS?

Upvote 0
Control Panel > Network > Network Interfaces > (select your active adapter) > Edit > IPv4

How are the settings there? Specifically Gateway and DNS?
Settings for LAN, IPv4:
Auto is selected (DHCP)

IP address: 192.xxx (Diskstation IP)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.xxx (router IP)
DNS server: 192.xxx (router IP)

Is that ok?

Upvote 0
Settings for LAN, IPv4:
Auto is selected (DHCP)

IP address: 192.xxx (Diskstation IP)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.xxx (router IP)
DNS server: 192.xxx (router IP)

Is that ok?
gateway and dns are fine, but try and out your ip address on static not dhcp

Could be a firewall then if nothing else is wrong

Upvote 0
gateway and dns are fine, but try and out your ip address on static not dhcp

Could be a firewall then if nothing else is wrong
I have changed to static IP on both the router and NAS - still no effect.

How can it be an firewall issue? Does the NAS have firewall or is it the router?
The UPnP is enabled on the router, so the firewall in the router should be open for the NAS, right?

Sorry for my stupid questions, but have now been struggling with this issue for some time now:(

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
How can it be an firewall issue? Does the NAS have firewall or is it the router?
The UPnP is enabled on the router, so the firewall in the router should be open for the NAS, right?
Well, I'm just saying in general. I have no idea how your network is configured and protected. So I said it might be an FW blocking NAS access to the Internet as a potential problem.

As Telos said, do not use upnp and allow ports manually if you need to, as well as configure them on the firewall if needed. You really don't want your router opening ports left and right without your control.

I would start troubleshooting this by going into your NAS via SSH and test connectivity towards your router 1st and then the outside world.

ssh username@NASIPaddress

Once you are in, elevate to root with sudo -i and repeat your main account password. Now that you are in SSH terminal as root, try this first:

ping yourRouterIPAddress. For example: ping 10.20.30.1. Do you get any results and if you do, what are they?

If you do get response results that means that the NAS is talking to your router. Then move towards the web with this:

ping google.com

Do you get any results in this case? What are they?

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Sorry for my late reply - I have now followed your suggestions.
-UPnP has been disabled on the router
-Synology Firewall is disabled - has never been enabled

I have not tried SSH before, but is it not possible to confirm the NAS connection to network by other means?

If I ping the NAS in cmd I get this result:
"C:\Users\xxx>ping 192.168.1xx.xxx

Pinging 192.168.1xx.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1xx.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms"

NAS is connected to a SmartWIFI device with cable. I can access the NAS both from my PC and iPad through the wireless local network.

Do you have any good advise?

Or is it possible to reset (factory restore) network settings to get the connection up and running? Would this delete all my data on the harddrive?

Upvote 0
Or is it possible to reset (factory restore) network settings to get the connection up and running? Would this delete all my data on the harddrive?
Reset does not touch data.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Sorry for my late reply - I have now followed your suggestions.
-UPnP has been disabled on the router
-Synology Firewall is disabled - has never been enabled

I have not tried SSH before, but is it not possible to confirm the NAS connection to network by other means?

If I ping the NAS in cmd I get this result:
"C:\Users\xxx>ping 192.168.1xx.xxx

Pinging 192.168.1xx.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1xx.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms"

NAS is connected to a SmartWIFI device with cable. I can access the NAS both from my PC and iPad through the wireless local network.

Do you have any good advise?

You haven’t tested the important part. Ping from the nas itself not from your pc to your nas.

Upvote 0
I have been through the network settings again in the NAS.
For some reason the DNS was selected to be manual
Network>General>IPv6>Manual DNS

However in in IPv4 DHCP the settings is automatic
Network>Network Interface>LAN>Edit>IPv4>automatic DHCP

Not sure but made the change yesterday evening and today NAS is connected to the web.

Thank you for help:)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.