NAS direct to Mac?

Currently reading
NAS direct to Mac?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Is it possible to connect a Mac directly (thru a Thunderbolt to 10Gbe port) to a 1621+ and use another port on the NAS to connect up to the router / switch. The aim would be to get a fast direct Mac to NAS and 'normal' speed NAS to net?

Hi and many thanks for your reply. If, as well as the directconnection between mac and NAS, I have another ethernet cable from my mac to the router/switch would that work for me to also reach the internet. Maybe tge double connections would conflict?

Provided that the direct Mac <-> NAS connection has been setup to be a completely different subnet than that used for the man LAN interfaces then it should work. You'll have to access the NAS using this dedicate subnet's IP, or have some name/IP data added to the Mac's /etc/hosts file.

I've not got dual homing enabled on my NAS but it may be possible to select which interfaces you advertise [a] service[s]. So I would be looking for any file sharing and network interface options to make it easier for the Mac to find services on the dedicated interface.

Plus in the Mac's System Preferences for Network make sure that the main LAN interface is at the top of the list*, otherwise you'll end up sending all traffic down the dedicated interface.

*or at least above the dedicated interface in the priority order.

1638187878975.png
1638187898237.png

Many thanks for your reply. Apologies but I'm not really sure what you mean by "Provided that the direct Mac <-> NAS connection has been setup to be a completely different subnet than that used for the man LAN interfaces then it should work. You'll have to access the NAS using this dedicate subnet's IP, or have some name/IP data added to the Mac's /etc/hosts file."

I think that is due to my lack of knowledge rather than your explanation. It's the 'different subnet' part that really I don't understand....

We had a thread about 10G Mac and NAS before. Not sure if it will help or not.

Your home LAN will likely be using one of these subnets: 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24. Just be sure not to configure the 10G-10G direct connection use whichever subnet is being used to get to the Internet router.

Great and many thanks - I'll take a look now at the NAS iMac thread. Brilliant to have such helpful people as yourself :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.