Currently reading
NAS drive vs Surveillance drives?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
As stated in other posts, looking into getting some new hardware. Is there any real noticeable difference between NAS-labelled drives and surveillance-labeled drives? I'm going to have a couple extra bays, I'm considering getting some extra drives to dedicate to surveillance station, but was curious if I should be looking at the surveillance-labeled drives, or if they are even compatible with a Synology NAS. I did some googling but never really found any good answers so I came back here.

4tb looks to be about the same price on Amazon. Any reason to not just buy all surveillance drives and put the videos in the same volume as regular storage? Could then use the extra drives for more storage capacity/redundancy. What's the advantage to ext4?

The surveillance drives –as I understand it– are tweaked for constant writing (because that’s what your cameras, via SS, are doing most of the time), while the regular drives are designed with a read/write performance balance.

What's the advantage to ext4?
Performance. ext4 doesn’t have the Btrfs overhead (e.g. checksums). If you end up with a glitch (in the Matrix) spanning a few seconds, for a home user, it’s not a big deal 😁

The surveillance drives –as I understand it– are tweaked for constant writing (because that’s what your cameras, via SS, are doing most of the time), while the regular drives are designed with a read/write performance balance.

Performance. ext4 doesn’t have the Btrfs overhead (e.g. checksums). If you end up with a glitch (in the Matrix) spanning a few seconds, for a home user, it’s not a big deal 😁
I guess both you and @Rusty have alluded to my problem with finding an answer in google: yes, there is a difference between the drives, but will I as a home user notice a difference in drives/format big enough to matter? From what I've gleaned here and elsewhere, there is an advantage, but it probably won't be big enough to matter to me? Right now SS is only recording motion events. If I set it up with its own drives/volume I'd probably set it to record constantly and only send alerts on motion detection.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.