NAS DS218+ Login Screen

Currently reading
NAS DS218+ Login Screen

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Last edited:
Since the last firmware update the login screen got quite ugly. It has now a white login screen and it seems I can not change that in the settings. I think before it was somehow transparent/opac?

At the bottom it can have some text. There I had a description what is now somehow fliped downwards and only shows when I hover with the mouse over it.

How can I:

A) make the login screen transparent again or change to white color?
B) Make the text at the below the screen permament?

Thank you

The only way to do it is by editing the CSS file.

Check quick tip 20 on this link: Synology quick tips!

It will show you the location of the CSS file that needs to be modified for the login element. Example shows how to center the login box, but all the rest of the needed modifications can be done inside that file as well, including colors, transparency etc.

Since the last firmware update the login screen got quite ugly
Which firmware versions are you talking about? In DSM 7 the login screen was redesigned but I haven't seen any changes going to DSM 7.0.1. I'm not sure which text you mean that only shows with a mouse-over hover.

Have you played with the settings in Control Panel -> Login Portal -> DSM ?

Last edited:
I do have version DSM 7.0.1-42218.

The login screen looks something like in this Synology manual page 10.

Before it could look like that- modified:

I also have some other flaws in the firmware reflecting to the desktop what I do not realy like. For example the Widgets are always on top now. When I open my file station or other windows the widgets stay always on top and burry parts of the menu. So - close widget, work, open widget again...

All in all abit anoying. I think my DS218+ is also not top notch anymore. Atm looking at a Qnap TS-H973AX-32G. This would have a real linux like desktop. Maybe easier to work with.

Thanks for all your inputs.

So is it the design change in login screens between DSM 6 and DSM 7 that you don’t like? Or is there some bug in the DSM 7 login screen? I have the same NAS as you, running DSM 7, and haven’t seen any issue with elements being displayed properly on this screen.

Working in DSM, when I open an application its window is over the widgets...
1637396583177.png

All in all abit anoying. I think my DS218+ is also not top notch anymore. Atm looking at a Qnap TS-H973AX-32G. This would have a real linux like desktop. Maybe easier to work with.
Well the DS218+ has been out for a long while and has been superseded by the DS220+. It was just over £300. I guess a newer (last year) device that £1200 will be something quite different. Seeing as the GUI is important to you I'd suggest you look for an online demo of QNAP.

Thanks fredberg. Exactly like in your screen it should be. In my screen the widget is covering the main window and whatever I do I can not pull the window to the front. I have to close the widget. I have no idea it is a firmware bug.

Yes, I looked at some QNAP youtubes and I thought it is not bad. I like the Synology and the overall design. But learned that Synology is pretty plain and easy to operate, less room to modify. QNAP is just the opposite. No fire and forget, you have to know what to do.

Well, we shall see. The Qnap TS-H973AX-32G does not compare to the DS218+ or DS220. It is a bigger station and with a Ryzen processor more performant. But - it could quite be I keep the Synology on the site :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.