NAS for pictures, Videos and Music

Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Dear all,

I need your help on choosing the right NAS for my use case. Right now I'm using iCloud for all my files, pictures and videos. Also I have Apple Music for my music, that I bought.
But I would like to move everything to a NAS and have it accessible locally and also over the internet on multiple devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc..).
I would also like to run a Docker container for Bitwarden.
Could the new Synology DS1522+ be a good fit? Or should I consider an other alternative?

I may also use the NAS for a couple of movies and stream them as well.

Thank you in advance :)

Could the new Synology DS1522+ be a good fit?
If a 5-bay model is needed it is a great choice indeed. On top of this, if you are looking for an even newer model that is identical to the 1522 in terms of specs, but only one bay less, there is a brand new DS923+ that was recently released.

Hello all,

Thanks for all the responses.
If I'm not mistaken, the DS1522+ ans 923+ have the same CPU, only the RAM and amount of drive slots differ.

The thing that holds me back on purchasing the DS1522+ is that the CPU has a problem streaming videos/movies.

I may stream a couple of movies in the future. So that is a small concern for me.

Should I wait for a bigger/ more performant model? I am not in a very big rush, so I could wait one or two months.

Thanks!

problem streaming videos/movies.
Only when transcoding is in question. If there are clients that can handle the streams, both devices will work more then fine.

Should I wait for a bigger/ more performant model?
Personally, I do not see that there will be devices that will come with transcoding friendly CPUs. Saying that, the upcoming DS423+/DS223+ will 99% come with AMD (with no GPU embedded).

On the other side, there are some completely new NAS models (never before released) for the second half of the year that might arrive, but that info is still "unverified".

Bottom line is to know what you want and what platforms will you drive on those devices and take it from there. So these models are for example Plex friendly but not in transcoding mode. If there is no need for that, you will be more then happy with these models.

DS1522 Plex tests for some real life examples - Synology DS1522+ review

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.