NAS for two homes

Currently reading
NAS for two homes

Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, I want to buy two NAS for two places which will automatically work as a geo backup. Am I right that Synology Drive shall support it?

First Synology will serve my home. It has 1 Gbps internet connectivity. I want to use it as a local file server, DLNA server for Samsung TV and Google Photos replacement. So I consider following applications: Drive, Photos, Backup, Media for DLNA, Surveillance, and VM manager (eventually, to play with). I am considering DS218, DS420j, or DS220+ (DS420+ is quite expensive).

Do I need to buy exactly the same disk model? I wonder if I can buy just two same disks now and buy another in future, even if it will be a different model? I saw Synologz RAID calculator so it should be supported.

I am thinking of 3,5" Western Digital Red Plus 6TB (WD60EFZX) or 3,5" Seagate IronWolf 6TB (ST6000VN001).

I would select some low-end for the weekend home. It just need a DLNA server and a Drive for sync. So DS120j should be sufficient.

Your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you

Welcome to the forum!

Am I right that Synology Drive shall support it?
No. Drive would be more of an endpoint client for sync and backup, meaning your PC/Mac for example. What you want in this case is Hyper Backup. That tool will backup data from one NAS to the other.

I want to use it as a local file server, DLNA server for Samsung TV and Google Photos replacement. So I consider following applications: Drive, Photos, Backup, Media for DLNA, Surveillance, and VM manager (eventually, to play with). I am considering DS218, DS420j, or DS220+ (DS420+ is quite expensive).
Those models will support all listed, but be sure to get a + model if you want VM options. Only the + lineup supports it. Also, 220+ would not be a good candidate for that as it is on the low end of the specter, and some upgrades (RAM) will be needed to get the VMM app off the ground.

Do I need to buy exactly the same disk model?
It would be recommended to run a single array with the same models. Make sure not to mix SRM and CRM or 7200 vs 5400 for example, and def avoid HDD/SSD combo in the same array. Saying this, you can have multiple types (HDD, SSD, 5400, 7200 etc) in the same NAS, just make sure not to mix them up in the same array.

I am thinking of 3,5" Western Digital Red Plus 6TB (WD60EFZX) or 3,5" Seagate IronWolf 6TB (ST6000VN001).
Sounds good

I would select some low-end for the weekend home. It just need a DLNA server and a Drive for sync. So DS120j should be sufficient.
It was a great idea to start off with the apps and services that you want to run, but, make a note that the J lineup is the slowest out there, with 0 options to upgrade. So manage your expectations. Personally, I would always recommend a + model, and J only as a destination backup/light use NAS, nothing more. As soon as you start putting more and more apps and services on top of it, it will start to show its weaknesses. For example, Synology Photos (as a potential Google replacement) will be miles ahead on the + model than on a J one, including that some features will not even work on the J model (face detection as one of them).

Thank you for your valuable information.
  1. If I skip VM requirements, would you change your recommendation? I think I will take 418 as I don't have a use case for VM now.
  2. If I buy two same disks and later another model with similar parameters, this should be ok, shouldn't it? The same model might not be available in future.
  3. J would be rarely used, only as DLNA server for TV and a geo backup for main NAS.

If I skip VM requirements, would you change your recommendation?
Not really but only because NAS investment is somewhat long term. So personally I like to have as capable device as I can possibly have. Saying that, if vm is off the table guess a non plus model will do. Still, be careful with the number of apps and concurrent users.

If I buy two same disks and later another model with similar parameters, this should be ok, shouldn't it? The same model might not be available in future.
Again, if those will not be the part of the same array, fine. If they will be (and I mean you are expanding the array) then same rules apply

J would be rarely used, only as DLNA server for TV and a geo backup for main NAS.
That will be adequate

I see. And having two NAS would it be possible to have no RAID at all and just replicate data to the second location? I can live with a risk of losing fresh data before a backup takes place.

I see. And having two NAS would it be possible to have no RAID at all and just replicate data to the second location? I can live with a risk of losing fresh data before a backup takes place.
Ofc, you do not have to have a raid array. You can run with basic volumes for example.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.