NAS Malware

Currently reading
NAS Malware

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
I see there's been a malware attack on Qnap devices.

Malware Advisory

I'm not gloating, I'm just pointing out the danger of rushing to update NAS firmware. The Qnap users I've read reports from, say the malware was built into the update!

So the attackers seem to have gotten in just like with the recent ASUS debacle.

I definitely have auto updates turned off!

Hadn't seen this yet. Interesting. I have auto-update disabled because of exactly this risk, same on my Macs.

There were a few mentions of Security Advisor alerting after manual patches for SRM Dragonblood vulnerabilities were installed 'https://community.synology.com/forum/2/post/125132'. Seems it was a false alarm but it should have been tested.

I'm beginning to seriously question the rush to buy all singing and dancing machines with wide ranging cloud integration!

I've always been too scared to open my network to the WAN. I just don't know enough to feel secure.
It seems that the people that make our devices don't know enough either!

I'd seriously recommend, that the average home user, leaves the cloud switched off!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.