Currently reading
NAS not accessible repeatedly

NAS
DS216+II
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
My NAS getting offline and inaccessible in browser/mapped drive and Synology Assistant.
only way to access it again is to hard reset it (pressing on the power button for 10 sec)
then it will work but only for a few hours and then again will go offline.

the NAS connected with an Ethernet cable to my router: Billion BiPAC 8900AX-2400
my PC also connect directly to the router with Ethernet.

I have configured a fix ip for the nas.
however i'm not sure if I did it right.

My nas is for automatic backup with Macrium Reflect and also for plex streaming.
it is very frustrating it gets offline as it inturrpts the backup. also i find it redicoulus that there is no way to shut it down or reboot
without doing a hard reset/getting the pug out which degrade my NAS drives.

Please, help!

Last edited:
Have you reserved the fixed IP address in the DHCP server (presumably in the router) so it doesn't get assigned to another device.
Im not sure how to do that on my router: Billion BiPAC 8900AX-2400
is it in the virtual server panel?
or static Route panel
or Static DNS panel?

here is the manual for this router I will apricate your help!

not sure how to set it on the nas to be honest, I just remember I did somehow.
DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4

Page 72
1631621696685.png

1631621664585.png

From the above:
Router's IP address is 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask defines the range of the LAN IP addresses to be between 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.255. But the top and bottom of the range are special (in this case .0 and .255).
The DHCP service will assign IP addresses to LAN devices in the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199.

So you can manually configure the NAS to have an IP address that is in the Subnet range but avoid these IP addresses:
192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199

Something like this (it's DSM 7 but DSM 6 is very similar):
1631622294073.png

I see that I already configured it to 10.0.0.18
is that ok?
still it lose connection after a while,
should I configure something in my router as well?
or is it a nas hardware failure?

I see that I already configured it to 10.0.0.18
is that ok?
still it lose connection after a while,
should I configure something in my router as well?
or is it a nas hardware failure?

Did you did any RAM upgrade on your NAS?

My NAS start shuting down if i pressed the power button for about 4 sec. If i stay a couple more seconds (about 6 it does hard shutdown.

I had a similar problem with a RAM upgrade.

Did you look at the user manual page that I suggested? Have you configured your router to only use part of the LAN subnet for dynamic IP assignments? Did you put a manual configuration in the NAS using a LAN IP that is not in the dynamic IP range?

I don't know if 10.0.0.8 is any good or not: you haven't said what the router is configured to do nor how the NAS is setup.

I'd say: give the nas a 3 seconds reset, start again using the assistant.
Remove the manual Fixed IP and see if you get it working reliable. You can reach the nas using the dns name you gave it and map to it via that as well. if it works, you can set the assigned IP fixed in the router ( that is safer anyway) and finally in the nas.

if it works, you can set the assigned IP fixed in the router ( that is safer anyway) and finally in the nas.
There is no need/advantage to setting IP in both router and NAS. Using the router to set a fixed/reserved IP for the NAS is all sufficient, and will simplify NAS connection when the router is swapped out, or its IP range altered.

On the NAS, this will suffice.

7TnAzWf.png

So is it actually recommended to set the NAS IP only via a reservation in the router and set it on the NAS to get an IP using DHCP?
It's belt and braces to both reserve the IP in the DHCP server but then manually configure the NAS's network settings to this IP and other values. Personally I do this so that if the DHCP server goes down for any amount of time then the 'headless' NAS will still be where I know they are. The likelihood of having a problem like this is small and mostly only occurs when switching over routers.

The important bit is to have a known IP address for the NAS, not one that's floating about. Purely for ease of access and lower volume of forum posts.

It's belt and braces to both reserve the IP in the DHCP server but then manually configure the NAS's network settings to this IP and other values. Personally I do this so that if the DHCP server goes down for any amount of time then the 'headless' NAS will still be where I know they are. The likelihood of having a problem like this is small and mostly only occurs when switching over routers.

The important bit is to have a known IP address for the NAS, not one that's floating about. Purely for ease of access and lower volume of forum posts.
Yep exactly why I do it. I'll leave it how it is set then :)

Last edited:
It's managed under the Virtual Servers section of your router's settings.
0Y1QvJz.png

See the manual for more details.
i do not know what ports should i open, i dont want it to conflict with my pc.
also if its internal or external port.

i'm using the NAS with macrium reflect backup software that automatically backup my pc to the nas.
also I use it with plex streamer.

maybe someone can help me set it up quickly with remote access to my computer?
it will be so much appreciated!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.