NAS or cloud as day to day storage location, with the other as backup

Currently reading
NAS or cloud as day to day storage location, with the other as backup

NAS
DS718+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
I have a NAS and recently upgraded my storage. I use the NAS as a file store, I use it to backup my computers, I use it to backup any cloud data including email and I use it for surveillance. It's a neat little box, the software is generally good and it works (though I wish the hardware was a bit stronger). I recently put some bigger drives in and this has got me thinking about how I'm using it.

I used to store all my families data on the NAS and access it locally on the network. I tried synology drive for a while but onedrive, integrated in windows, seems much simpler to use. Each member of the family has 1TB of data (legacy personal account) and another 1TB on Office365 Basic that I buy anyway to use email. This is way more than is needed.

Many members of the family work from laptops, often on the move, and they tend to use onedrive as their general documents folder. I ensure that is backed up on the NAS. I back NAS up again on the cloud (C2) and there's a second NAS and a USB disk as additional backup! I do a bit of both - use both the NAS share and also use onedrive. I should probably stick to one or the other, especially as much ends up duplicated and sometimes on different versions of editing.

For big files, the NAS is the way forward (long term storage of photo and video files specifically). For day to day data, do you think I should encourage use of a cloud provider with the NAS as backup, or use the NAS directly with the cloud as backup? What do you all do?

For day to day data, do you think I should encourage use of a cloud provider with the NAS as backup, or use the NAS directly with the cloud as backup? What do you all do?
Valid question, but it will be up to you/your family. Personally I use data on the NAS and use secondary NAS units and/or cloud as backups. As you said, it would be best to focus on one or the other from a usage stand point just to avoid that you have some "production" content on the NAS and the rest in a public cloud.

Last edited:
We use a different approach... here.
Files created on Computer is saved to the compute(s)..
Also saved on 2 or 3x NAS's, depending on the file.... very important files stored in more locations than files deemed as "not as important"
There is a 2nd storage location on each NAS for very important files.. as a 2nd location on each NAS in case of in-inadvertent erase or operator 'corruption'...
Files also stored on removable drives as/if needed... stored in fireproof safe... and "elsewhere"..
We don't bother with NAS Backups, except we do have 2x Boot Clone's for each computer, alternated once a year, in Safe and "elsewhere".
Yes, we have had hardware & software failures, but we have Never - EVER lost any file.... Due to "Redundant" storage... since W98 days, when we lost a system.... and learned the hard way!
This does create a couple extra steps..... to save file in multiple location(s), after confirmation that the file is correct.... Updating NAS's first, and couple days later, the 2nd NAS location... This gives a backup and a 'Fallback' location... in case you need to "GO BACK"! Yes... This takes some remembering... to do... but seeing we've been doing it this way for years.... It's now second natrure...

I used to work with companies, SMB, they saved data on NAS, working with data on NAS. Public cloud like OneDrive or Google Drive is a place for backup (1-1 backup and encrypted backup).
For me, I also do the same. For u, I think you can use the same model. The problem may be the users mind, and you have to educate them the usage of NAS, one time and they will be fine.
Hope this help.

I try to keep things simple. I use mapped drives via SMB to my NAS to store data. Keep as little as possible on computer itself. Mapped drives make the remote drives just as easy to use as a local drive. That way when I rebuild/replace the computer there is minimal chance of data loss from simply formatting/replacing the hard drive. Have done this for 20+ years and still have data that old on my NAS. Of course, the other key to that is good backups so when you replace the NAS or drives in it you don't lose data. Replacing the NAS is much less frequent than rebuilding a computer and much more intentional with more thought in to the process.

I have two external hard drives connected to the Synology. Hyperbackup runs weekly and backs up various shares/LUNs to those two hard drives. I have a third external hard drive for offsite backups. Every month or two I bring it home, backup my crucial data, and then take that drive back offsite.

So, my worst case disaster scenario is that I lose data back to my last offsite backup. But, in most cases I should only lose data back to the last week's local backup.

On my to do list is to play with snapshots which may offer additional features/protection in the form of versioning and protection from ransomware/malware.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.