NAS Remote Access for Newbies: Part 4 - Reverse Proxy for Multiple NAS on a Single LAN

Tutorial NAS Remote Access for Newbies: Part 4 - Reverse Proxy for Multiple NAS on a Single LAN

Currently reading
Tutorial NAS Remote Access for Newbies: Part 4 - Reverse Proxy for Multiple NAS on a Single LAN

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
NAS Newbie submitted a new resource:

NAS Remote Access for Newbies: Part 4 - Reverse Proxy for Multiple NAS on a Single LAN - A discussion on how to configure multiple NAS on LAN from a newbie perspective

Preface​

This tutorial is a continuation of the Remote Access for Newbies series of tutorials, and continues the discussion started in Parts 1-3. While parts of this tutorial can stand on their own, it does reference an office building analogy used to describe your LAN in Part 1. If you are unfamiliar with the basics of your LAN or how to configure a reverse proxy, it’d be best to start with Parts 1-3 of the series:
  1. ...

Read more about this resource...

Hi @NAS Newbie,

Lot's of work gone into those missives! I have been on a similar voyage of discovery in the last weeks and am now at the persuading my father stage so that he be sent a NAS and leaves it on 24/7 to receive my backups!
Really well put together; part iv looks very interesting for me personally, but a great series! Thank you.

Hi @NAS Newbie,

Lot's of work gone into those missives! I have been on a similar voyage of discovery in the last weeks and am now at the persuading my father stage so that he be sent a NAS and leaves it on 24/7 to receive my backups!
Really well put together; part iv looks very interesting for me personally, but a great series! Thank you.
Thanks! Everyone on this forum is super helpful, but it isn't always the easiest for a newbie to know where to start. Hopefully this provides some direction. Also, regarding your offsite backup, you can reference my thread on that if you haven't yet. I haven't completed setting it up yet so can't confirm that it all works, but it might give you ideas. Critique my backup structure...

Nice job. I'll suggest an alternate reverse proxy method I use for multi-NAS.

I created a second DDNS for NAS2. Let's call that magic.synology.me. Since both NAS are facing the same WAN address, 210.61.203.200 in your example, entering remotely...

https://magic.synology.me

brings me to NAS1 (based on router forwarding rules), not NAS2... so a small reverse proxy entry on NAS which will route...

https://magic.synology.me to 192.168.1.6 (NAS2's LAN IP), solves the problem preserving the DDNS domain for NAS, instead of assigning a wildcard domain to NAS2.

Easy-peasy. Different strokes for different NAS.

With two NAS on one external internet connection, I can reach either by using this method with reverse proxies. However, the certificate is accepted by my browser when accessing NAS1 and rejected when I access NAS 2. Upon inspection, it seems that the certificate is always that of NAS1 and so does not match the site address.
What am I doing wrong? I would like to access NAS 2 without receiving browser warnings of an insecure connection.
As a secondary and resulting issue of the 'wrong' certificate issue, I cannot setup SECURE SIGNIN as the QR code presented for scanning does not match the site address or certificate (DSM 7.0)
Suggestions welcome!

For problem one you need a certificate that either has a SAN value that covers all the domains or use a wild card certificate.

Regarding Secure Signin Syno suggest using their their QC domains but you can make it work with 3rd party domains just make sure you have them up and running with a valid cert 1st.

That's helpful and explains the Secure Signin issue. Eventually, I shall move one of my NAS to another site which will mean reverse proxies will not be required.
I'm not familiar enough with certificates to understand SAM values. Is this similar to SAN certificates (Subject Alternative Names) which look like multi-domain certificates to me? At present, I am using Let's Encrypt generated certs (and struggling a bit!)
TIA

That's helpful and explains the Secure Signin issue. Eventually, I shall move one of my NAS to another site which will mean reverse proxies will not be required.
I'm not familiar enough with certificates to understand SAM values. Is this similar to SAN certificates (Subject Alternative Names) which look like multi-domain certificates to me? At present, I am using Let's Encrypt generated certs (and struggling a bit!)
TIA

Ofc I meant SAN and you are correct. If you want multiple domains covered with one cert you needs multiple SAN values or a wild card certificate.

With two NAS on one external internet connection, I can reach either by using this method with reverse proxies. However, the certificate is accepted by my browser when accessing NAS1 and rejected when I access NAS 2. Upon inspection, it seems that the certificate is always that of NAS1 and so does not match the site address.
I exported the NAS2 cert and imported it over to NAS1, and then set up NAS1 cert configuration to recognize that cert for the "magic.synology.me" (NAS2) address.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.