NAS RMA replacement won't let me recover drives

Currently reading
NAS RMA replacement won't let me recover drives

NAS
DS1815+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi, my DS1815+ had to be RMA'd this week. I got sent a new one. Tried to reinsert disks in same order and switch on. Synology Assistant picks it up as Recoverable but when I try and recover it fails. Have tried multiple combinations of switiching existing drives/reboots/rescans but same outcome. When it is 'recoverable' you can only choose to recover..which it can't so I'm stuck.

Have experimented with putting in a newly formatted drive and Synology Assistant will find it and let me install the DSM locally to the point I can log in etc which proves that I could wipe one of the existing drives enought to install a fresh DSM and hope it sees the other drives enough to recover/migrate them...but that isn't exactly how I thought it might work!

Any advice?

Thanks

Dan

Have experimented with putting in a newly formatted drive and Synology Assistant will find it and let me install the DSM locally to the point I can log in etc which proves that I could wipe one of the existing drives enought to install a fresh DSM and hope it sees the other drives enough to recover/migrate them...but that isn't exactly how I thought it might work!
Yes, if your original array is SHR/SHR2/RAID1-5-6, you can create a simple one-disk SHR (other disks not present) on the NAS (any disk size/type), then shutdown and reinsert the disks you had (less one if there are insufficient slots). Rebooting, you should see the original files (degraded state if 1-disk redundancy was present). At that point you can back up files, or repair.

This is not how repair should happen, but given the issue you describe, it seems as though your DSM is either corrupt or outdated.

Thanks Telos.

If I did it that way but wanted to then remove the spare disk I'd used initially, so as to have it back to how it was with the original array of drives, I'm presuming I run into problems as the DSM is installed on that one?

All the drives are in pairs for RAID1 so my thinking is I could wipe one of the pairs and use that as the 'spare' disk initially...

Absolutely not an expert on this but can google . What I see oft repeated is that: DSM is installed on all the disks in the NAS; each disk has a partition created for DSM (hence why you lose a bit of space for storage); these partitions are used to create a RAID 1 array across all the disks in NAS. The first two statements are my understanding, the latter, which is new to me, explains how DSM is independent of your storage pool and volume choices.

That last bit is the piece that, if true, would imply: all disks except any one can fail and DSM should still function though your data may be corrupted/unavailable; that DSM isn't related to volume 1 or its storage pool.

It's a theoretical situation for me and one I'd test as a last resort: I also saw people saying that DSM is installed on just the disks present on initial setup (seems unlikely to me). A ticket to Synology Support to confirm would be my way forward.

OK thanks. I have an ongoing ticket with them but have kind of taken matters into my own hands and used one of the paired raid disks to format and start again. I know from what you're saying that I shouldn't have had to do that but I am trying to be proactive. and get something usable. I've not tried putting the other drives back but I am assuming that it will see them enough to be able to use them. My chief concern is getting Active backup working for our 2 x Win 2012 servers (separate thread on this forum), a problem I had to leave when it got RMA'd. Unfortunately, even with a clean install on a single formatted drive I have the same problem so am hoping Synology can log in and have a look....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.