Currently reading
NAS trying to upgrade all the time

NAS
DS115j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello, I have a recurring problem with my Synology NAS DS115j: Very often, twice a month maybe, the NAS becomes unavailable and displays the following screen:

1604305402027.png

The problem can be solved by accessing the NAS from my home network. But the main, if not almost exclusive, use of my NAS is to access it from the outside, when I'm away. And of course, when the NAS is in this state, it is not accessible from the outside, which makes it practically useless for me. How can I avoid this? Is this an upgrade step and if so can it be changed to be done manually when I am at home? Or fully automated so you don't have to do something locally?

I find this very strange, surely NAS are used by others as external access points and can be automated a bit more?

Thank you

So it's this screen you're getting right, cuz I can't read the non-english parts:

1604306334558.png

This screen usually appears when you inserts existing NAS disks into a new NAS, as a scenario.
Do you keep submitting the 'migration' option to get your NAS back online?
I'm guessing the partition where your DSM is beeing installed on keeps crashing/corrupting. How is the health of you harddisk?

Yes, this is the screen, sorry ! And yes I keep running the migration option.

Incredibly, I did it yesterday and am asked to do it again today ! So now it is everyday !

I will check the hard disk health when the upgrade is over ;-) Where do I do that exactly ?

By the way, thank you so much for the very quick reply ! Very impresive.

I will check the hard disk health when the upgrade is over ;-) Where do I do that exactly ?
Once you are able to, you can do that in Storage Manager and run a SMART test. See example from my NAS:

1604306818537.png

Also these numbers can give you an indication (should all be 0):
1604306901549.png

Oh and while we are suspecting a HDD health issue, make sure you have a backup. :)

My results are less detailed than yours, yet positive I think :

1604308959017.png

What else could it be ?

OK, I have run the extended test, the results are good :

1604339501813.png

What can I try next ? Thanks !

Hello again, any idea about this ? My disk seems to be OK, how else can I find out why the upgarde keeps happening ? Thanks !

Hello again, any idea about this ? My disk seems to be OK, how else can I find out why the upgarde keeps happening ? Thanks !
try and log into your nas via ssh and check the /var/log/messages file for detailed information. Maybe there will be a clue whats the problem.

I am not quite sure how to od that, isn't there a way to see the logs from the user interface of the NAS ?

I am not quite sure how to od that, isn't there a way to see the logs from the user interface of the NAS ?

The logs available in the Synology interface are quite limited.. Here is an example how I do it:

1604402910831.png

Just logon with your own (local) account that has admin access on your NAS (assuming you have disabled the 'Admin' account for better security):

1604403108536.png

And then the content of this file will be echo'd in this window.

/var is a toplevel folder. When you SSH into your NAS, you by default land first in your 'home' folder.

So either use cd .. to get back to the root of the linux file system, or just do this with fullpath:

sudo cat var/log/messages

Ok, I have got it, I am now in the log folder !

Now, how do I open the messages file ? Or copy it locally so that I can open it ? Sorry, I am a bit new to this as you can see...

OK, I got it, thanks !

I attah the log file here, if someone could take a look it would be great. The last "crash" was yetsreday morning (02/11), thnaks again

Attachments

• log.txt
    77.9 KB · Views: 14
How to get /var/messages without SSH...

Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks
1604430026204.png

User defined script for user 'root'. And in Task Settings add to Run Command (change MYADMIN to your admin user's name; you can change where to copy messages)
Bash:
#!/bin/bash
cp /var/log/messages /volume1/homes/MYADMIN/messages.log
chown MYADMIN:users /volume1/homes/MYADMIN/messages.log

I can then use File Station or whatever file sharing. And you just disable the schedule and run as and when needed.

OK, I got it, thanks !

I attah the log file here, if someone could take a look it would be great. The last "crash" was yetsreday morning (02/11), thnaks again
Hello all, sorry to insist but could someone look at my log please ? I really would like to get to the bottom of this issue, thank you very much in advance !

You can compare the different boot up messages side-by-side. The first boot up is at the top of the file and then a second is forced at "2020-11-02T02:33:35+01:00". Copy the log in to two windows of a text edit and delete text in the second to the point of the reboot. Then scroll the text windows together. On Mac BBEdit can do synchronised scrolling, so must be something on Windows too.

There's not much different but I'm wondering if you have DSM to auto-update and the packages in Package Center too. Is DSM getting in an update loop and something isn't going right?

Other thoughts: power surge/spike rebooting the NAS.
Cell battery (if there is one) needs replacing: more likely if the NAS spends a lot of time off power.

OK, so my DSM was on auto update. I have turned it off, and will monitor this over the next few weeks. Thanks a lot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.