Currently reading
Nas used for surveillance and backup

NAS
DS 918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So I currently have a DS918+ with 4 drives totalling 10TB mainly used as storage; music server photo depositary etc.
I also have a usb drive attached to backup the nas daily.
I've purchased a powered switch and camera which I've yet to set up. I aim to have 2 cameras used for the obvious.

My idea was to get another nas (low powered such as a DS218) from ebay connect the cameras to the 918+ and put the 218 in my roof space as a backup.
The 218 would be used to backup - just in case the 918 fails or gets stolen; I figure a burglar wouldn't be bothered to go into the roof space.

I know this wouldn't prevent data from being lost in the event of a fire. I can't arrange off site storage and don't trust or can't afford cloud storage.
I am a noob when it comes to networking; so keep it simple.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
In addition to normal NAS duties…and backup data location for 2 other NAS’s, I’m using 13 HiKvision cameras: each with motion detect ftp’ing to same NAS in different directories with 1920x1080 pics, and NAS IS TAKING 3 streams of IP and creating 3x 1920x1080/30 video streams motion detecting via SS (1 extra license +2 defaults) saving in different folders simultaneously on a 718+ with 6GB Ram & 2x 7200rpm Ironwolf’s. Also give DS CAM access to 3 1920x1080/30 cameras to our Subdivision to see live weather conditions at a mountain road switchback 24/7/365— And it’s pretty obvious that I’ve plenty of bandwidth left to allow for more licenses, if a sale ever comes up!
I have 2 720+ systems, but see no need whatsoever to move all this from 718+ to a 720+ with 6GB Ram + Ironwolf’s + 512GB Caches.
The 718+ has bandwidth for more expansion — now looking for a license sale!

PS: also running 13 timed script files overnight to remove older pics and excessive sized folders (keeping only newest pictures) so I’ve not done any ‘file maintenance’ other than an exam once a year or so. (That script file available here)

I can't arrange off site storage and don't trust or can't afford cloud storage
So the general question here is, is your backup process valid and is there any more room to make it better? In that case, any additional NAS that will keep the backup of the video captures is great. It would be better to have it off-site, but ok.

In terms of cloud backup, you could look into C2 Surveillance. A yearly 7 days/720p (1 camera) is just €7/year. Not sure if any other could backup for a proprietary solution like SS will be that cheap.

If cloud is definitely off the table, then consider running that 218 NAS to another location for a proper off-side backup scenario.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.