NAS vanishes from network in windows explorer

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
A week ago after setting up my DS920 I followed a tutorial to show the NAS in windows explorer. Today I opened windows explorer to find my NAS and it's gone. However, now when I add it, it doesn't show under network but rather under This PC. Also I can't get it to show the two directories it was initially opening to. Any ideas what happen and how I can get back the same as before. TIA
-- post merged: --

OK. figured it out. The windows update I received today turned off "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and that caused the panic above. I hope another beginner benefits from this!!

Below are the steps needed to reactive it

Step 1. Open the "Control Panel". Click on "Programs and Features".
Step 2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" at the left pane. On the pop-up windows, scroll down to find and check the "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" feature. Then, click "OK" and reboot the computer

Why do you think microsoft turns it off?

SMB1 is a high security risk as several ransomware like Wannacry use it to enter your LAN and encrypt all.
you ( and everyone) should leave it disabled on nas and PC, and use all other tools available from eg the synology knowledgebase to solve connection/ visibility issues.

And if you were thinking of getting any Sonos kit to use with media on your NAS, forget it! Although being sonically excellent, Sonos only implements SMB1. Thus, your NAS needs to be set to SMB1 for Sonos devices to see it and it's media...and, as EAZ1964 says, this is a REALLY BAD idea. Seemingly, Sonos don't care about this because users who stream from their NAS are less than 10% of their user base. There are some techie kludges which claim to work and there seems to be a Plex- solution but searching the net seems to produce a lot of unhappy users for it.

Bottom line, if Sonos can't be bothered to update their devices to resolve a bad security hole, I can't be bothered to give them my money (these days, it's not at if they are the only high-quality streaming solution in town)

Sonos only implements SMB1. Thus, your NAS needs to be set to SMB1 for Sonos devices to see it and it's media...and, as EAZ1964 says, this is a REALLY BAD idea.
Ditto for Denon HEOS but I can use Media Server instead, and do.

@Cyberwasp suggest you google for SMB1, security risk, vulnerability.

There is a defective python scrip used for windows browser: Depending on NAS model the offending script in different files. This works for me but use at your own risk.

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/WSDiscovery.py, near line 955 <--- Depends on NAS Model
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wsdiscovery/daemon.py, near line 177 <-- Depends on NAS Model

Original code:

Code:
for fd, event in self._poll.poll(timeout):
            sock = socket.fromfd(fd, socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
            try:
                data, addr = sock.recvfrom(BUFFER_SIZE)
            except socket.error as e:
                time.sleep(0.01)
                continue

Modified code:

Code:
for fd, event in self._poll.poll(timeout):
            try:
                sock = socket.fromfd(fd, socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)

data, addr = sock.recvfrom(BUFFER_SIZE)
            except socket.error as e:
                time.sleep(0.01)
                continue

Before editing the script file, you should unchecked WS-Discovery in Control Panel. After editing return the setting back to it's checked state. FWIW, it's a good practice to make a copy of the original script file before editing.

This will be needed to be done on most DSM updates.

Why do you think microsoft turns it off?

SMB1 is a high security risk as several ransomware like Wannacry use it to enter your LAN and encrypt all.
you ( and everyone) should leave it disabled on nas and PC, and use all other tools available from eg the synology knowledgebase to solve connection/ visibility issues.
Sorry, didn't mean anything by it. I contacted Synology on how to fix it and it's what they told me to do. Like I said, am new,"4 days," into using a NAS and learning as I go. If there's a better way, could you point me in the right direction. Thank you.

I contacted Synology on how to fix it and it's what they told me to do.
That's disappointing.

People's reaction to turning SMB1 back on is understandable as it's been the vector for some of the most recent newsworthy attacks. It's better to live without SMB1 than to have it and the malware risk.

As for your issue, sorry, I can't help.

I've no interest in this but, if that script edit works, it looks like the update to the python script is to move the try: line from below the sock = ... line to above it. And nothing else has changed.
Yes that is true. This puts the wsd datagram in the poll loop from what I understand. I found this in a post on the Synology site and since it has been purged. I kept a copy and made some notes. I have found every DSM update it goes back to the default script and I make the change and my NAS shows up in Windows Explorer again.

Last edited:
If there's a better way, could you point me in the right direction. Thank you.
The best-practice and safe way to go is to

- browse to \\nas\share
- map a drive letter to \\nas\share

Where as 'NAS' should be the IP address, hostname or FQDN of your NAS.

1622276837031.png

Dont need SMB1 for this.

Sorry, didn't mean anything by it. I contacted Synology on how to fix it and it's what they told me to do. Like I said, am new,"4 days," into using a NAS and learning as I go. If there's a better way, could you point me in the right direction. Thank you.
I have contacted Synology support and they claim they will NEVER recommend SMB1 unless it is for a short, diagnostic period.
So if you got evidence they advised you otherwise, let me know.

Unfortunately there was no option to have the chat emailed to me which I usually do. I only have the text he provided to me describing the issue. I'll paste below:
================================================================================
The recent Windows 10 update might have disabled the SMB feature that is necessary for fire sharing. Fix this issue and turn on SMB 1.0 in the Windows Features window.
Step 1. Open the "Control Panel". Click on "Programs and Features".
Step 2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" at the left pane. On the pop-up windows, scroll down to find and check the "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" feature. Then, click "OK" and reboot the computer.

I just got off of a chat with them, Asked about chat logs and was told they don't keep them at all. Sound suspicious as every other service I dealt with has said yes.

Could you direct me to a page or video that would show the correct was to set up my nas so it is viewable in windows explorer without SMB1. Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.