DSM 7.1 Need advice about how best to add drives to a DS418

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Need advice about how best to add drives to a DS418

NAS
DS218j, DS418
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hey all.

I have had a DS218j for a few years which has a single JBOD volume comprised of a 4 tb disk and a 10 tb disk. I recently bought a DS418 and two new 16 tb IronWolf Pro disks. I want to migrate the 2 disks in the 218j to the 418. Then put a new 16 tb disk in each NAS. In the 418, Ultimately I want to wind up with a single 16 tb volume in the 218 and a 3 disk (4, 10, and 16 tb) single 30 TB JBOD volume on the 418.

My environment is a small home and office running a Windows domain. Everyone in the family and their computers are domain members. I have used the DS218 as a backup cache. I have an old machine that I use for backup staging. All backups are written to this staging device and then the staging device copies the backups up to Wasabi cloud accounts. The staging device then moves backups to the caching device (the 218) for easy/quick access. All backups go through a 3 month rotation - that is, I always have 3 months of backups (weekly full backups, daily incrementals, and monthly image backups of the local C: drive). The 218 currently has 8.1 tb of files.

So far, I have:
1) I put one of the new 16 tb disks in the 418, powered it up, installed DSM 7.1, and configured the NAS. But I did not add the disk to a storage pool.

2) I updated DSM on the 218j. to 7.1 That was a pain, but both NAS now have the same version of DSM (7.1.1-42962-4). I turned both NAS off, took the new 16 tb drive out of the 418, and took the 2 drives out of the 218j and put them in the 418. I put the other new 16 tb drive in the 218, installed DSM, and configured the NAS., so the 218 is now operational and online.

3) I started up the 418 and migrated the disks, so it has a single 14 tb JBOD volume. I shut down the 418, put the new 16 tb disk back in, and restarted it. When it came up, it saw the new drive.

What I want to do now is to add the new drive to the existing 14 tb volume, yielding a 3-disk, 30 tb single volume. BUT DSM won;t let me add the disk to the existing volume. The 218 has a single volume limit of 16 tb and the migrated disks apparently retained that limitation, even though the 418 has a single volume limit of 108 tb. The question is, how best to create that 30 tb single volume, while still retaining the 8.1 tb of files currently in the 14 tb single volume.

Is it feasible to simply create a volume 2 on the 16 tb drive, copy all files from volume 1 to volume 2, delete volume 1 and then add the drives from volume 1 to volume 2, and viola! I'm done? Anyone know if this would work?

So far I've assume the answer to that question is "No", and I started doing this the hard way:

I created a second volume on the 16 tb drive in the 418. I am now using hyper backup to backup the files in volume 1 to volume 2 - which is still running, 10 hours into what I estimate will be a 22 hour task.

It seems to me I have 2 ways to go after the backup completes:

a) delete volume 1 and create it anew with the same 2 disks (4 tb, 10 tb). Having been created in the 418, this volume should no longer have the 16 tb limit. I can restore the backup in volume 2 to volume 1, delete volume 2 and add the new 16 tb disk to volume 1. If this does not destroy the backup files present on the 16 tb drive, I would delete the backup files. I'm hoping - though I don't know - that DSM and its configuration will remain even though volume 1 gets removed. I think this because earlier, in step (1), I installed DSM and configured the NAS when it had only the 16 tb drive, with no storage pools/volumes.
Am I right about that?? If not, then I guess I can just install DSM and configure the NAS again.

OR

b) delete volume 1 and add the drives from volume 1 to the JBOD volume 2. But will the files on the disks in volume 1 survive? and. again, I don't know whether DSM will survive. I still have to restore the backup and then delete the backup files

With 12 hours remaining to complete the backup, I could easily suspend the backup task and try the easy way (copy).

I'd really appreciate any guidance offered.

Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back