Need help figuring this out - DS218+ HDD failure, Plex migration to SSD and different raid configuration

Currently reading
Need help figuring this out - DS218+ HDD failure, Plex migration to SSD and different raid configuration

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
  2. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
So, this is a head scratcher for me and need help figuring this out. In an endeavor to ensure that this goes according to plan, I look to you, the Synology geniuses, to guide me.
I currently have the Synology DS218+ that I use as a Plex Media Server but also use for backups. One of my hard drives is currently failing and I don't plan on replacing it with a new HDD but I'd rather take a different approach.

Since Plex is always reading and writing a lot of data, I suspect that it's because of this that the drive is failing. Note that my current drives aren't really designed for what I'm using them for. So I want to remove one HDD from the NAS and replace it with a smaller (more durable) SSD without losing the data/Synology installation on the other HDD, then move the Plex Server to the new SSD (Volume 2) without losing any of the metadata from my Plex server. So that I can basically continue to use Plex on the SSD and use Synology (Volume 1) on the internal HDD.

This is the current setup:
- Two 2TB HDD in a Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR), with data protection for 1-drive fault tolerance. (Btrfs file system)
- Plex Server installed on the internal HDD (Volume 1)
- 1TB of data on the internal HDD (Volume 1) (which can be moved to the external, if necessary, rather not though)
- Three external 4TB HDD connected to the USB ports, with most of the data on it.

This would be the future setup:
- One internal 2TB HDD in non-raid configuration (Btrfs file system)
- One internal 1TB SSD in non-raid configuration
- Synology still installed on the internal HDD (Volume 1)
- Plex Server installed on the internal SSD (Volume 2)
- 1TB of data on the internal HDD (Volume 1)

I'm currently using this guide to ensure the Plex data stays intact and untouched. All data should stay on the same volume, so Plex would recognize nothing has changed except its installation location. All its data should be on the same volumes, so no new metadata would be fetched.
The easiest way would be the just replace the drive, but I really want to have Plex installed on a SSD.
However, one other option would be to replace BOTH internal HDD with two new SSD (but that's too expensive for me).

I hope that someone could help with a step-by-step process on how to do this efficiently.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Thanks Rusty, I've been reading a few articles and guides, and been trying to find a better way to make this happen. The plan was to avoid a bottleneck when I'm switching to a gigabit network and to avoid Plex fetching new metadata for most of the data when switching to a smaller SSD I have lying around.
However, I'm now taking a better approach. According to some forum posts having Plex installed on a SSD doesn't make huge difference. So now I'm looking for more stability.

Since my current hard drives aren't really designed for NAS use and are quite old, I'm going to purchase 2 new hard drives designed for NAS. With larger cache, faster RPM and more bytes!

Expanded the storage is an easy task. So this thread can be closed and flagged...
Keep in mind that that article is talking about the replacement of a complete array of drives with a new set. So if you are planning to follow that principle along (just starting with a single SSD) then fine. If you will just pull one drive, you will degrade your SHR setup, and placing a new drive inside will give you an option to add it to the array. However, that will not work unless that drive is also not 2TB or larger.

So just to be on the safe side, what plan are you using?

Upvote 0
Thanks Rusty, I've been reading a few articles and guides, and been trying to find a better way to make this happen. The plan was to avoid a bottleneck when I'm switching to a gigabit network and to avoid Plex fetching new metadata for most of the data when switching to a smaller SSD I have lying around.
However, I'm now taking a better approach. According to some forum posts having Plex installed on a SSD doesn't make huge difference. So now I'm looking for more stability.

Since my current hard drives aren't really designed for NAS use and are quite old, I'm going to purchase 2 new hard drives designed for NAS. With larger cache, faster RPM and more bytes!

Expanded the storage is an easy task. So this thread can be closed and flagged as solved.

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.