Currently reading
Need help setting up SMB for OpenVPN

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, I had OpenVPN installed and working perfectly fine for months using an unmanaged switch (Netgear JGS524) until my Netgear Modem/Router (CAX80) & switch died (lightning?). I decided to try something different and that is 2 separate devices using a Modem (Motorola MB8611) with a WiFi router (2 x eero pro 6) instead.

Here's my set up: Modem >> eero (Gateway) >> Netgear JGS524E v2 24-port switch (Managed). Where my NAS is plugged into.

I've tried to set up port forwarding (1194) but I can't get part the router set up this time. It goes through the firewall set up fine, but with a
Note: Your router is not listed in the Synology UPnP compatibility datal base. Please click Next
to proceed to the compatibility test page.
I've also tried setting it up without UPnP enabled, both with no luck.

I've attached some screenshots as well..

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220923_060700_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220923_060700_Gallery.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20220923_060122_Cx File Explorer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220923_060122_Cx File Explorer.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20220923-055656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220923-055656_Chrome.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 17
Def do not use upnp setup. Configure port and protocol forward manually. Also the model and wifi router, how are those 2 configured? Router mode or bridge mode?

If both are in router mode you will need to set up a DMZ scenario then or they will both clash. This might be an issue you are having.

Upvote 0
Def do not use upnp setup. Configure port and protocol forward manually. Also the model and wifi router, how are those 2 configured? Router mode or bridge mode?

If both are in router mode you will need to set up a DMZ scenario then or they will both clash. This might be an issue you are having.
Hmm.. Thanks! They are both in router mode. I tried to set the gateway one up in bridge mode, but that just turned into a disaster. I had to reset my whole network. I couldn't get on at all.
Is there a guide to help me with this. DMZ thing you mentioned? I'm sure I could Google it too..

Upvote 0
Hmm.. Thanks! They are both in router mode. I tried to set the gateway one up in bridge mode, but that just turned into a disaster. I had to reset my whole network. I couldn't get on at all.
Is there a guide to help me with this. DMZ thing you mentioned? I'm sure I could Google it too..
The idea is this.

Make sure your "modem" device (one accepting the ISP connection) has a DMZ like setting.

There you will need to configure an IP address from your LAN (your choice). Once you enter that IP address, use it on your router (internal one) and configure it on a LAN port that is connecting your 2 devices.

So for example it will be like this.

Code:
Use the address from your modem subnet, not your internal LAN subnet.
If your internal LAN is 192.168.30.0/24, and your modem is 192.168.15.0/24, use that.

MODEM:
LAN address: 192.168.15.1
DMZ address: 192.168.15.30
-------------------------

INTERNAL ROUTER
WAN port: 192.168.15.30 #configure the same IP you added inside your DMZ setting
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.15.1 #configure the same IP that your "modem" device has as its local IP
DNS: 1.1.1.1 #here you can configure any public DNS address you want, CloudFlare as exp

Upvote 0
The idea is this.

Make sure your "modem" device (one accepting the ISP connection) has a DMZ like setting.

There you will need to configure an IP address from your LAN (your choice). Once you enter that IP address, use it on your router (internal one) and configure it on a LAN port that is connecting your 2 devices.

Code:
If your internal LAN is 192.168.30.0/24, and your modem is 192.168.15.0/24, use that.

MODEM:

INTERNAL ROUTER
WAN port: 192.168.15.30 #configure the same IP you added inside your DMZ setting
GATEWAY: 192.168.15.1 #configure the same IP that your "modem" device has as its local IP
DNS: 1.1.1.1 #here you can configure any public DNS address you want, CloudFlare as exp
I'll check this out, but I don't think it has this option. It's just a basic modem.. MB8611.. I'm not home right now, but I'll Google it to see..

Upvote 0
The idea is this.

Code:

MODEM:

INTERNAL ROUTER
Firstly, Thank you for helping me!! I am a big DUMMY when it comes to networking...

Ok, so I just got home an looked. I don't have any settings in my Motorola MB8611 Modem (I confirmed it with their Tech Support). I turned off UPnP in my eero app as well, but I also did not find anything in there for a DMZ either. I will contact them next.

Upvote 0
Firstly, Thank you for helping me!! I am a big DUMMY when it comes to networking...

Ok, so I just got home a looked. I don't have any settings in my Motorola MB8611 Modem (I confirmed it with their Tech Support). I turned off UPnP in my eero app as well, but I also did not find anything in there for a DMZ either. I will contact them next.
Guess a bridge setup will be one thing to solve your problem. Otherwise 2 routers will create havoc in your lan

Upvote 0
IMO, one is more than enough 😵
So, in back from my weddings.. Got one more in Nov. Lol..

Is it possible to set this up with just an ip address from my NAS, WITHOUT setting up the VPN? I used to be able to log into my NAS externally using the IP address, but no longer can (for some reason). I can only access it using my quick connect ID. All I want to do is back up things from my mobile phone. I have since this post, successfully configured the DS Drive app. I might have to be just satisfied with this, I suppose..

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
At what point are you atm? What’s working where’s not and what you need?
At the point when I first posted (original post). Nothing worked. I've even tried to put eero in Bridge mode but that just made me reset my whole network.
-- post merged: --

At what point are you atm? What’s working where’s not and what you need?
Happy Holidays!

Upvote 0
At the point when I first posted (original post). Nothing worked. I've even tried to put eero in Bridge mode but that just made me reset my whole network.
-- post merged: --

Happy Holidays!
So bridge mode did not work as well? Does your ISP support bridge at all? How did it all behave when you had it in that kind of setup?

It is a bit hard to troubleshoot this with no exact access to the setup or any logs/outputs what is happening.

Also, did you speak to your ISP about this bridge setup with 2 routers?

Upvote 0
So bridge mode did not work as well? Does your ISP support bridge at all? How did it all behave when you had it in that kind of setup?

It is a bit hard to troubleshoot this with no exact access to the setup or any logs/outputs what is happening.

Also, did you speak to your ISP about this bridge setup with 2 routers?
No, I did not contact them, (xfinity) it's a pain to do such a thing. They are incompetent. I talked to eero they were the ones who helped me fix the non-working bridge mode. The only way to fix that, was resetting the whole Network and starting all over again. When I was in bridge mode I could not connect anything to the internet as this is the second device coming from my ISP. it comes from ISP into the modem from the modem into one of the eero WiFi Mesh device, from the eero into the switch. I'm thinking that maybe the switch has to have an open port of some kind but I'm not 100% sure cuz I'm not it good with networking. Then from the 24-Port switch it goes into my Synology NAS. As far as logs I can get you any log that you want just tell me where to go and get and how to get them.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help! I finally got it to do what I needed to do. I think I just can't connect to eero Pro 6 with Synology. I did a work-around.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.