Need help with Hyper Backup - At a complete loss

Currently reading
Need help with Hyper Backup - At a complete loss

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I have a DS1621xs+ on 192.168.1.10 & a DS918+ on 192.168.1.11 on my local network. I want to backup the DS1621xs+ to the DS918+ with Hyper Backup (this is what I understand to be the preferred way).
I open Hyper Backup in the source machine, select Network LUN Backup (Synology server), n the backup destination I provide the IP address & my credentials & receive the following:

1663958575691.png

I have gone through the various checks outlined in the message for the destination server. They appear to be in order. I am at loss on how to proceed.
Please help.

I have a DS1621xs+ on 192.168.1.10 & a DS918+ on 192.168.1.11 on my local network. I want to backup the DS1621xs+ to the DS918+ with Hyper Backup (this is what I understand to be the preferred way).
I open Hyper Backup in the source machine, select Network LUN Backup (Synology server), n the backup destination I provide the IP address & my credentials & receive the following:

View attachment 10809

I have gone through the various checks outlined in the message for the destination server. They appear to be in order. I am at loss on how to proceed.
Please help.
LUN is for iscsi lun backups. Do you have iscsi lun that you want to backup or you want to backup data from your shared folders? If so, then select “Data” instead of “LUN” and use that wizard.

Upvote 0
Apologize for delay in responding. I continue to see all the functionality available, but, I'm such a 'noob'. I've progressed to the point I receive the following:

1664301560234.png

# 1 is correct
# 2 Hyper Backup Vault shows as open. Does that mean it's running?
# 3 I assume the backup destination is on the network as I just created it as a shared folder from the control panel.
# 4 Not sure where I am supposed to go to fix this. Router, DSM or ? I thought NAT was for traffic outside the LAN.
# 5 The problem does not appear to be with the Windows firewall as I disabled it to test if that was the issue.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
1664302924947.png

I am selecting Remote NAS Device. I then get & populate this screen:

1664303058084.png

When I attempt to Log In I get the screen advising me to check everything. If I attempt to populate a share folder, I'm advised to Log In 1st.

Upvote 0
Ok, this method will use Synology's proprietary backup method (the database one) that will require HB or HB Vault to access the content.

Click the "Log In" button, enter your destination NAS credentials, and then you will be placed back on this same step (image2). At that point (if authentification passes) you will be able to select the "Shared Folder" dropdown menu and choose your remote target folder.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, when I press log in, it returns the Backup Destination Settings message. For whatever reason, I am not getting to the point where I can enter the credentials.
You do have Hyper Backup Valut installed on the destination? Any nas firewalls (the nas units seem to be in the same subnet so no reason not to work tbh) that might be blocking ?

Upvote 0
Yes, Hyper Backup Vault is installed on the destination. Only firewall that was on is the Windows firewall & I disabled it (for testing). Same results.
Since I can't get Hyper Backup to work, I'm going to try Active Backup for Business. Will update with results.

Upvote 0
Yes, Hyper Backup Vault is installed on the destination. Only firewall that was on is the Windows firewall & I disabled it (for testing). Same results.
Since I can't get Hyper Backup to work, I'm going to try Active Backup for Business. Will update with results.
abb is not the same as hb. You will not be able to do a selective backup.

Upvote 0
Yep, just found that out. Back to trying to figure out why this is not working. Is there a detail set of instructions anywhere?
Not much to do here. Network visibility, an account and installed vault app for the setting your have selected. Guessing you are able to make an smb connection from one device to the other? Are you certain there is network visibility between them?

Upvote 0
As I recall, the destination folder on the destination nas, should be owned by the same user as the backup task of the source. I remember i had to create the same user on the two NASses first.

Can you verify that this is the case?

Upvote 0
I'm going to respond to both Rusty & EAZ1964 with this post. 1st bit of info. It will be Thursday prior to going back to the location with the 2 NAS devices. Please bare with me.
1st a response to Rusty's question. While I can see and access either of the NAS devices from any of the PC's on the LAN, I'm not comfortable there is network visibility between the two NAS devices. We have set up the device on 192.168.1.10 as a FTP server for our sub contractors & clients. That works as it should. Both TCP & UDP are port forwarded to port 21 for this device. I don't know if this has any effect or not.
2nd response to EAX1964. To be honest with you, I would not know how to determine who an 'owner' would be on a folder on a Synology NAS. There are two administrators on each of the NAS devices of which I am one. We both have created shared folders on both of the NAS devices. How do I determine the 'owner'? I've not seen that designation at any time when I've created shared folders.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this has any effect or not.
It doesn't as that port is not in use with HB.

The main question here is, is there something blocking access to the destination NAS. Could it be that the source local IP is on autoblock list of the destination NAS (multiple failed logon attempts)?

Upvote 0
As indicated yesterday evening, I will be going back over to the office with the 2 NAS devices tomorrow (Thursday).
In the mean time, I took a look at the NAS on my LAN to find out about the 'owner' of a shared folder. Sure enough it was there. Thank you for that piece of information.
Without diving into the knowledge base to see the significance of the 'owner', I would imagine the owner is the individual who created the shared folder. In that case, I'm pretty sure for the shared folders involved with Hyper Backup, it was me. At any rate, I would assume NAS admin privileges would take precedent..... Will check this when I get back into the office tomorrow.
I'm inclined to believe I have something 'gunked up' somewhere that prevents the two NAS devices from talking to each other.

Upvote 0
Update.......... We had some weather issues here in SE NC (IAN) which prevented me from going over to the office.
I anticipate going over to the office tomorrow.
Want to thank all who are offering suggestions.

Upvote 0
Update.......... We had some weather issues here in SE NC (IAN) which prevented me from going over to the office.
I anticipate going over to the office tomorrow.
Want to thank all who are offering suggestions.
Did you get it to work? I have the exact same problem. Hyper backup NAS to NAS. Get as far as logging in but then can't select the shared folder. I get the same error message with the 5 options "Failed to connect to the backup destination".

Upvote 0
Did you get it to work? I have the exact same problem. Hyper backup NAS to NAS. Get as far as logging in but then can't select the shared folder. I get the same error message with the 5 options "Failed to connect to the backup destination".
So its the same case of 2 NAS in the same network subnet?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.