Need some help to set up the home network for Synology NAS

Currently reading
Need some help to set up the home network for Synology NAS

NAS
DS1522+, E10G22-T1-Mini RJ45 10G Ethernet Module
Hello, the ADSL modem provided by my ISP is in a different room as my computer room. I am not allowed to run wire between the two rooms nor drill holes. I tried to use MoCA adapters to bridge the connection but it did not work out. What other options do I have? I am considering powerline adapters but I am not sure how secure they are especially I am living in a building. Also not sure about the actual speed.

Powerline is pretty secure, but signal strength can be on the scale from good to very disappointing, depending on the location, wiring, etc.
Other option may be mesh types of accesspoints You might try to bridge the connection with multiple connectors. What brand of modem was supplied?

I got this modem from my ISP:

So far all my devices are connected to the internet via WiFi provided by this modem. The internet service plan offers an upload speed up to 10Mbps and a download speed up to 50 Mbps only. That is the best they can offer in my area.

Last edited:
You can use a WiFi to Ethernet adapter to your NAS, or a powerline adapter (most are encrypted), or run a cable along your baseboards.

Thanks. Between WiFi to Ethernet adapter and powerline adapter, which is faster and more secure? Any good recommended product?

Before I heard of WiFi to Ethernet adapter, I checked some powerline adapters. The TP-Link AV2000 seems to use software to set the key while the Netgear PLP2000-100PAS generates random key by itself. The former may be more secure but some reviews mentioned that the Netgear one is the fastest. I don't know if that information is reliable or not.
-- post merged: --

Since wifi is the only option in your apartment, I believe you should consider utilising a Mesh network for all your devices.

I am a bit confused. Since the modem has been offering WiFi to my devices, why do I need a Mesh network? Is it because it can take WiFi signal from my modem in one room and cable signals from the NAS (or Switch if I connect the NAS and computers to the switch) in another room through its ethernet port? Do you mean something like a Mesh WiFi Range Extender? What is the difference between it and WiFi to Ethernet adapter?

How is it compared with WiFi to Ethernet adapter and powerline adapter? I have not used any of these three technologies before.

With the adsl speed on your appartment, a powerline would probably work out fine.
So in terms of speed, the adsl speed is the bottleneck?
Among powerline adapter, WiFi to Ethernet adapter and Mesh, which is the most secure?

My concern is security in using powerline adapter in an apartment environment.

I don't think there is much of a difference, both wifi (mesh or adapter both use wifi) and powerline use a key. The longer the key, the safer it is. Wifi you have anyway, so that does not matter anyway.

Last edited:
I will try a powerline adaptor and a mesh range extender to see which works better. I read that the speeds advertised on powerline products are over exaggerated. For mesh range extender, which of the following is better?

@nasusers have a look at devolo products as well.
Powerline speed are not over exaggerated, it’s just that powerline it’s easily influenced by many factors such as: distance between the items, age of your electrical system, appliances running as well create interferences…

Last edited:
Thanks. Interferences from washing machine, fridge, etc. is one concern considering that we need our NAS system to be stable all the time.

Given the specs of my ADSL modem and service plan, is there any advantage to pay more to buy mesh extenders such as EX7700 and AXE5400 which support WiFi 6/6E now?

Anybody understood what the figures under "6Hz for More Capacity" means? Does it mean although my modem can support only 5GHz and 2.4GHz, it can combine them together to offer 6GHz if I have devices that have WiFi 6 or WiFi 6E?

Thanks. Interferences from washing machine, fridge, etc. is one concern considering that we need our NAS system to be stable all the time.
I wouldn’t put the nas behind the powerline at all. Just plug it directly to the modem and then bring the line to your desktop or to which device you need.

I wouldn’t put the nas behind the powerline at all. Just plug it directly to the modem and then bring the line to your desktop or to which device you need.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the powerline or mesh extender? I cannot run a physical wire between the room where the modem is located and the computer room.

My personal experience is to not recommend this. I have the devolo magic 2 and they lose about 350mbps from the modem. When appliances are running, speed it’s further reduced by 20/30 mbps.
I have them set up on 2 different floors, there might be 15-17 meters from socket to socket and they occasionally also drop the connection, so have to restart one of them to gain again full speed.
Tested them in same room just to understand if it was a problem with the powerline product but they have no issue and get full speed from modem.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the powerline or mesh extender? I cannot run a physical wire between the room where the modem is located and the computer room.
I mean attach the NAS directly to the modem and then use then powerline to bring the connection in another room. Unless you have a specific reason to not be allowed to leave your NAS attached to the modem

My personal experience is to not recommend this. I have the devolo magic 2 and they lose about 350mbps from the modem. When appliances are running, speed it’s further reduced by 20/30 mbps.
I have them set up on 2 different floors, there might be 15-17 meters from socket to socket and they occasionally also drop the connection, so have to restart one of them to gain again full speed.
Tested them in same room just to understand if it was a problem with the powerline product but they have no issue and get full speed from modem.

I mean attach the NAS directly to the modem and then use then powerline to bring the connection in another room. Unless you have a specific reason to not be allowed to leave your NAS attached to the modem
I would not agree.
the nas main use is probably pc<->nas, so that connection should be ethernet.
in this connection, the modem-pc connection will be the bottleneck. So use a powerline in the computer room, connect a switch, an then the nas and pc to that switch.

I would not agree.
the nas main use is probably pc<->nas, so that connection should be ethernet.
in this connection, the modem-pc connection will be the bottleneck. So use a powerline in the computer room, connect a switch, a then the nas and pc to that switch.
I agree with you that if the desktop will be the only device communicating with the NAS then you’re right same room it’s fine, but if you then want plex, or backup photos in Syn Photos and access them from outside, set up a vpn to access your docs/files, so need multiple devices to talk with the nas then putting it behind a powerline it’s not the best.
Also probably if a solely storage to pc is needed then he might want to consider also DAS devices instead of a NAS.

no plex, no access from the outside, no vpn. Perhaps Syn Photos. May add one or two more computers in the computer room later. I probably need to buy a switch after getting whatever-to-be-determined bridging device. Although tried DAS approach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.