Currently reading
Need to increase storage - a couple of options

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My DS918+ is at 91% used storage. I have 18.2 TB total available made up of four WD 10 TB drives (reported as 9.1 TB). I need more space!

Should I....

1) Buy four new 20 TB drives and double my available storage? This should be fine for the next three to five years. If so I'm looking at the Toshiba drives https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/47044-toshiba-mg10aca20te-4hdd/ which seem good value and (as I remember from one I have running somewhere, quite quite in operation).

2) Or buy a DX 517 extension and fill that with 10 TB drives? But then I have more hardware needing powered up and UPS'd.

3) Buy a new DS923+ and four 20 TB drives (as above) because it's only a few hundred quid more on £1200 worth of drives. I don't know if there's any big advantage for this year's model, I could then repurpose the DS918+ to other duties elsewhere.

Option one seems the most sensible but while I'm thinking out loud I'm happy to hear what you think.

Last edited:
I skip #2... DX units are expensive for the service they provide, and will be a drag on the overall performance of your NAS.

The drawback of #1 is the idle 10 TB drives you'll end up with...

That leaves #3... however I would look for 5-8 slots (a budget issue) given your propensity for growth (no need to fill all slots, and having an empty slot enables you to use the Replace feature to replace failing drives, or upsize an existing drive, without having to intentionally degrade volume). And the 918+ would be a fine backup/replication target for the new machine.

My DS918+ is at 91% used storage. I have 18.2 TB total available made up of four WD 10 TB drives
If this was SHR... you would have 27.27 TB total available storage. Perhaps that's the first place to review

That's my 2 shillings worth...

The drawback of #1 is the idle 10 TB drives you'll end up with...
I have a generic RAID box I'll put them into thus increasing the space there. Then I'll have four 8 TB drives I can use for long term storage or find another use for.
If this was SHR... you would have 27.27 TB total available storage. Perhaps that's the first place to review
Bit it is!
"Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR) (With data protection for 2-drive fault tolerance)"

Now if there was a choice when I set this up I would have chosen 2-drive tolerance after a drive failed when I was rebuilding a RAID (not a Synology) which was al very unpleasant.

But it's too late to change the RAID type now, isn't it?

My DS918+ is at 91% used storage. I have 18.2 TB total available made up of four WD 10 TB drives (reported as 9.1 TB). I need more space!

Should I....

1) Buy four new 20 TB drives and double my available storage? This should be fine for the next three to five years. If so I'm looking at the Toshiba drives https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/47044-toshiba-mg10aca20te-4hdd/ which seem good value and (as I remember from one I have running somewhere, quite quite in operation).

2) Or buy a DX 517 extension and fill that with 10 TB drives? But then I have more hardware needing powered up and UPS'd.

3) Buy a new DS923+ and four 20 TB drives (as above) because it's only a few hundred quid more on £1200 worth of drives. I don't know if there's any big advantage for this year's model, I could then repurpose the DS918+ to other duties elsewhere.

Option one seems the most sensible but while I'm thinking out loud I'm happy to hear what you think.
If you go with a 5 bay unit...I do recommend the DS1522+, also has an expansion slot for 10GBE, should you want to implement it at a later date.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.