Need Urgent Help - Drive Corrupting all files

NAS
DS1522+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi there,

Whilst working on a very important project at my company Synology Drive corrupted 1000s of image renders, resulting in a project almost being ruined.

The problem seems to be with image and video files that render straight to the shared local folder on any four of my machines. Drive must sync the file before the software has finished preparing the files with the correct compression etc.

The EXR images and movie files are entirely unusable.

Is there a workaround for this that doesn't require pausing the drive client? In our workflow, it is essential that all users have access to these files immediately.

We have used Google Drive client for years without issues. If Synology drive cant offer this simple feature without corrupting files, then we will return it.

I see people in the official forums have this issue, and its been there without a solution for over a year.

Any ideas of a solution?

There were some reports on file corruption, all related to 3rd party usb wifi adapters.
You might want to check that as well.
Never had corruptions on my machines.

Using ethernet on all machines here. Done some research and it seems as if the problem is related purely to when rendering to the shared drive.

Last edited:
Be certain that all temporary files associated with rendering/saving are excluded from Drive sync.

A related example... When downloading files with Chrome, a *.crdownload file is created temporarily until the download is complete. With Drive, you should exclude *.crdownload files from Drive, to avoid corruption and to prevent unnecessary bandwidth usage.

In this case it's just a single file. A 32 bit EXR image. Theres no temp files. The compression must happen internally, which Synology doesn't recognize.

‘Pause the system whilst rendering/exporting to the folder and start it again each time it’s done’.

This is the only solution provided by support.
Our studio works on exports and renders all day long. How is this a viable solution for a high end NAS system?!

Synology Drive should NOT be advertised as a stable solution.

This problem has cost me 1000 of euros of wasted time and corrupts files, not to mention a damaged client relationship. Hate to be one of those moaning forum people but I’ve been seriously financially hurt by this.

Returning the unit and will do my damn hardest to warn other studios to avoid this at all costs.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. Frustrating to say the least, but at the same time, this can't really be laid totally at Synology's feet. I see a couple of things that lie squarely on the shoulders of whomever it was that set this up.

First, the research mentioned in your first msg should have been done prior to implementing the change to Syn Drive at which point you would have seen a year old problem specific to your use case and certainly would not have gone there.

Second, the new setup should have been run concurrently with the old until you were satisfied with it's performance and capabilities before making the switch away from an already working platform.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's how I see it from my perspective. Good luck with getting your system back on track and customers satisfied.

That is weird.

I recently rendered some car commercial and my 3 machines (GPU rendering so 3 machines with 10 GPUs in total) were rendering separately (each one different camera/scene) directly to my DS1817+ and i was using Multichannel EXRs. For total animation length of 38-40 seconds i ended up with over 500 GB of EXR frames and none of them were corrupted so not really sure what on Synology side could be the problem ?

What Synology model, HDDs you used and what is your network speed/setup ?

cheers

Thanks for you reply.

I would really love to identify the issue if possible. Really interesting to hear you had no issues.

I used the exact same PC, rendering to Google drive via a shared folder on the same PC and it didn’t corrupt, this is why my blame went straight to the NAS.

1522+, going via a switch to each of my PCs. Ironwolf Pro Drives in the NAS and super fast SSD in the PCs.

Rendering with C4D and Octane. But I also had issues with rendering out from Premiere and AE.

Hmm that is even weirder, I also used Octane.
But on my side only difference is that i don't use Mapped drives i use UNC path so my render to folder is set as "\\NAS-DS1817\Projects\RENDER_FRAMES\"

Like the above person commented this is also partly on me for not testing this workflow out before using it in a large project. I really didn’t expect a consumer facing popular NAS like Synology to corrupt like this.

I’m not especially technical when it comes to networks and drives. If you don’t mind sharing your setup a little more I would really appreciate that. I can then maybe try and replicate your workflow and see if it helps.

Many thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.