Netgear GS110EMX not accepting connection to NAS 1621+ on 10Gbe ports

Currently reading
Netgear GS110EMX not accepting connection to NAS 1621+ on 10Gbe ports

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I installed a 10Gbe card in my NAS and added a Sonnet 10Gbe from thunderbolt to my iMac. It all worked fine albeit at 1Gbe speed. Then today I replaced my 1Gbe Netgear switch for a GS110EMX having 8 1Gbe port and 2 10 Gbe ports. If I connect via the slower ports all works fine albeit at the same slower speed. If I try to connect my SYNOLOGY (1621+) NAS via its 10Gbe (added) port then it doesn't connect and the Netgear switch constantly reboots. I spent about an hour with one of the Netgear tech guys who tried to help but nothing worked. He recommended I return the new switch to the supplier (and give up). Is there something that I (and he) are missing? Are there settings I should be adjusting on the NAS?

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks

Last edited:
I think so. I just checked the Mac setting for the thunderbolt is 9000 and on the NAS the MTU is set at 9000. It works fine but only at 1 Gbe - I can't think what's causing the issue. Thanks for your help though.

I do see that model is managed, I have the GS110MX. Does the gui show any sort of error? Did you try a different cable? I am surprised that Netgear did not offer you a replacement under warranty....maybe they don't do that anymore?

just to be sure and not to shooting into dark

Scenario 1.
NAS 1G NIC connected to ———> switch port number? ———-> Sonet 10G ——>Mac
all working as expected in 1G
what is the network setup in this scenario (NAS side) ?
what is the network setup on the Mac?

Scenario 2.
NAS 10G NIC connected to ———> switch port number? ———-> Sonet 10G ——>Mac
doesn’t work
what is the network setup in this scenario (NAS side) ?
what is the network setup on the Mac?
what led light/s you can see in the network 10g sockets (switch side)? … number of LEDs, color

what is setup of the Gateway for the both scenario (IP, subnet, DHCP)?
what is the IP address of the Network switch?
How do you know, that the switch is “constantly rebooting”?

Prepare clear answer for each “?” question marks.

My answers to your questions may be a bit sketchy as I'm not always sure to find the info you're asking for

First scenario was NAS connected to 1Gbe switch via switch port 6 and NAS port 4. Then I installed the 10Gbe card and reconnect the NAS via port 5 (the 10Gbe card)
The network NAS setup is manually configure DNS server (preferred server 192.168.1.254
On the Mac it was connected via Ethernet 2

Now the 10Gbe:
LAN 5 DHCP 192.168.1.101
Not sure how to check the IP address of the Network switch
The switch reboots (but only when the NAS is plugged in to the 10Gbe ports0 by shutting off all lights, after a few seconds (10-20) it lights up again and so on.

Thanks for your help

Just found the switch is:
80:cc:9c:9c:cd:92
192:168:1:104

You have netw. conflict there

Switch in the Scenario No. 2:
a) which port number is used for the NAS? (1-10)
b) .. for the Mac?

Test:
- unplug the NAS from the switch
- connect the Mac to the switch by the 10G external card
Install and Use ‘Angry IP scanner’ in your Mac to scan your current LAN:
you will see all the devices connected within the LAN
- connect the NAS 1G port to the switch port (1-8)
- what is the IP address of the NAS? Ping it from the Mac : ping -a NASip
- next change the port number at the switch to No. 9. ping the NAS from Mac
- same for the port No. 10
- during the test, everytime check LED lights on the switch for the port No. 9 or 10.
- when is everything Ok and you can use your NAS as expected, then we can check the 10G
- unplug the 1G NAS from the switch and repeat all the steps with the 10G within NAS and switch

Last edited:
Hi and thank you for your very helpful reply.

I had to use LanScan as Angry IP Scanner didn't seem to like working on my iMac.

All was fine using one of the NAS 1G ports. the ip was 192.168.1.100 and I could see the Sonnet card as 192.168.1.102 and the NAS was working fine even when I switched the connection to ports 9 or 10.

When I went via the NAS 10Gbe add in card things started okay. At port 8 on the switch I got two slightly different IPs. One was for sennasrjc.lan (192.168.1.100) and the other for synnasrjc (192.168.1.101) but the NAS worked fine and pinging was fine on both of these.

When I went via ports 9 or 10 (and the NAS 10Gbe add in) things were odd. Firstly I got two IP address both labelled synnasrjc (the name of my NAS) they were 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 Pinging them gave 'no route to host. This was the same when I went to port 9 or 10

So somehow it's a combination of the add in NAS 10Gbe card and either of ports 9 or 10 on the Netgear switch. Any more thoughts would be much appreciated.

The card I bought and added in is: Synology E10G18-T1 - Network adapter - PCIe 3.0 x4 low profile - 10Gb Ethernet x 1 - for Disk Station DS1618, RackStation RS1219, RS2418, RS2818, RS3618, RS818 ,RJ-45; 1 port

Did I get the wrong type of card??

Thanks - do you know which card I should get. I'm in the UK so there are limited options. One card sold in the UK by Amazon is:

Synology E10G18-T1 10GB NW CARD W 10GBASE-T PORTS, Black/Blue​

might that be okay??

E10G18-T1 is officially supported for 1621+
Yes, it should be but the other parts of the description of this one (PCIe 3.0 x4 low profile - 10Gb Ethernet x 1 - for Disk Station DS1618, RackStation RS1219, RS2418, RS2818, RS3618, RS818) don't mention the 1621+ and in the Synology compatibility page there is a note "
  • DSM version requirement: 6.2-23739-2 onward (or 6.1-15284-2 onward with DSM 6.1). (Only applicable to models with DSM.)"
It does seem to be the card that's causing the issues???

Well, it's only when the card on the NAS is used to connect to the 10Gbe ports on the switch that I get no connection (and ping can't find it) I also get two slightly different IPs with the same NAS coming up when I do a lan scan. It works if I only use the 1Gbe ports. I'm probably wrong but cannot think of anything else.

And see:

Netgear GS110EMX not accepting connection to NAS 1621+ on 10Gbe ports​

sorry not sure how to copy a link

It is hard to help you when I miss the step by step answers to my proposed test scenario in #7 post. I only asked for one connection of Eth interface from the NAS to switch - to be clear in the evaluation. When you have seen 2 IP addresses you have connected two interfaces parallelly from the NAS. For this test, it was the wrong attitude.
I'm afraid to ask for more complicated things through SSH because I don't know what I'll get from you.

First, you need to create a fixed address of the switch. It is a must.
Better is to create fixed IP addresses for the NAS also.

Then you can use this test:

- connect NAS with the SINGLE 1G interface ---->> to the switch port No. (1-8)
+ together
- connect NAS with the 10G interface ---->> to the switch port No. 9
+ together
- connect the Mac to the switch, but don't use the external 10G card (one from the ports 1-8)

then Mac terminal:
ssh into the NAS ----->>> ssh user@hostname
where
user is the NAS administrator account
the hostname is IP of the 1G NAS interface .... must be100% sure, when no unplug the 10G interface from NAS and check the NAS IP, then plug-in back the 10G
so the command is like
Bash:
then psw and:
Bash:
sudo -i
again the same psw

then copy-paste results here for these commands (in the defined order):

Bash:
lspci -tvk
then
Bash:
ifconfig -s -a | grep eth
then little bit complicated (because I don't know how is attached the PCI-e Eth NIC to the system:
Bash:
ifconfig <ethx>
where <ethx> = name for each the ethernet interfaces from previous command results, e.g. eth0, or eth1
then
Bash:
ping -I <ethx> -a -c 4 <IPadressoftheSwitch>
>
e.g. 'ping -I eth0 -a -c 4 192:168:1:104'. Be sure, that the IP address is 1000000% the IP address of your switch :cool:
repeated it for each the <ethx> interface ..... eth0, eth1, ....

same pings to your Mac IP address

When you are lost, open a beer and be lucky for other things in your life.

Last edited:
Apologies jeyare

I have been through the tests again (as you initially requested) and the results are below. Everything is working only I do not it seems get 10Gbe speeds (the light on ports 9 and 10 flicker amber not green)

I made a mistake when I thought I was getting two reports with one connection - It is just one each time. Here are the results for the first set of questions:

Switch in the Scenario No. 2:
a) which port number is used for the NAS? (1-10)

answer: port 8
b) .. for the Mac?
answer: port 7

Test:
- unplug the NAS from the switch
- connect the Mac to the switch by the 10G external card
Install and Use ‘Angry IP scanner’ in your Mac to scan your current LAN:
you will see all the devices connected within the LAN

Answer:

Ethernet 10Gbe card is 192.168.1.102

Router is 192.168.1.254

- connect the NAS 1G port to the switch port (1-8)
Answer: Done

- what is the IP address of the NAS? Ping it from the Mac : ping -a NASip
Answer: 192.168.1.100

- next change the port number at the switch to No. 9. ping the NAS from Mac

- same for the port No. 10

- during the test, everytime check LED lights on the switch for the port No. 9 or 10.
lights only amber flickering on ports 9 or 10 when NAS connected. When connected on ports 1-8 green flickering

NAS is working okay so now move onto 10G

- when is everything Ok and you can use your NAS as expected, then we can check the 10G

connected the NAS 10G to the switch port (1-8)
Answer: 192.168.1.101

change the NAS to port 9
Answer: 192.168.1.101 (amber flickering) NAS working okay

change the NAS to port 10
Answer: 192.168.1.101 (amber flickering) NAS working okay

Should I now go on with the second set?

Thanks for your help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back