Network Link Aggregation Active/Backup Mode

NAS
DS1621+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hey everyone,
Just a quick question regarding network bonding and backup links.

I've got a DS1621+ with four LAN ports; ports 1 & 2 are bonded as Balance-TCP, this is plugged into an HPE ProCurve.

What I'm hoping to achieve is using ports 3 & 4 as a bonded active/backup mode with these plugged into the main router. So when the ProCurve is powered off for whatever reason these backup LAN ports kick in.

However, I'm a little confused with the IP address. Can the IP address on the backup bond be the same as the IP address on the Balance-TCP bond? This way the family don't have to change all the IP's for accessing the NAS on their PC's?

Many thanks for any assistance and clarification. :)

Hi! No, you can't have duplicated ip addresses on the same network. If you have two bonds, you need two different ip addresses.
Hi,
Yeah, I thought as much. Thanks for the clarification 🙂 So there's no way of giving all the ports/bonds the same IP however, making ports 3,4 only activate when ports 1,2 experience a loss of link?

Upvote 0
Hi,
Yeah, I thought as much. Thanks for the clarification 🙂 So there's no way of giving all the ports/bonds the same IP however, making ports 3,4 only activate when ports 1,2 experience a loss of link?
None. You can load balance the services using the dns names, but when working with IP values you have no way of duplicating it, unless you are using a balance with a virtual server IP that behind it uses 2 separate IPs.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.