NAS
DS220j
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm wondering if anyone could tell me how I add the network traffic information to the taskbar of my RT2600ac. I've watched videos and noticed screenshots with it there (beside the notifications bubble), but can't for the life of me find it in any of the settings. I've been through every package and setting list. Am I missing something? SRM Version: SRM 1.2.4-8081 Update 2

Attachments

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 46
I've found it on some images now...

Even Synology shows it on their site but the image is tagged as SRM 1.1. Maybe this has been removed in SRM 1.2, and I never used it so don't remember it in 1.1?

Suggest a ticket with Synology Support to ask where it's gone.

I see you’re using Windows so don’t know if there is something like this...

On Mac I use PeakHour 4 to monitor interfaces on both SRM and DSM using SNMP (v1 to 3 supported). It has a menu bar icon with drop down graphs and stats for speeds and latency. Plus there’s a web service which has a nice ‘web app’ style access via iOS Home Screen.

It’s easier than logging into the router and taking its resources for a full web portal.

I see you’re using Windows so don’t know if there is something like this...

On Mac I use PeakHour 4 to monitor interfaces on both SRM and DSM using SNMP (v1 to 3 supported). It has a menu bar icon with drop down graphs and stats for speeds and latency. Plus there’s a web service which has a nice ‘web app’ style access via iOS Home Screen.

It’s easier than logging into the router and taking its resources for a full web portal.
I was wondering if you could let me know how you got your SRM to report. I have enabled SNMP 1 & 2, but the PeakHour search is showing the router as "Not Reporting"...

Thanks in advance

Ben

Last edited:
Hi @atticus7 , welcome to the forum.

The first question is this: are you running PeakHour 4 v4.1.14? And is its app icon and Preferences toolbar...

this:
1622191766497.png
1622191789500.png

or this:
1622191860763.png
1622191884751.png

The reason I ask is that the v4.1.14 with square icon was apparently released accidentally. I found this one didn't work with any of my previously working SNMP sources. They acknowledged this and provided the corrected version, with the normal round icon, and is now available from their website via the Trial button.

Back to settings that work for me...

SRM -> Control Panel -> Services -> System Services
  1. Enable SNMP
  2. Enable SNMPv3 service
  3. Enter username and password you want for this device.
PeakHour -> SNMP Device Details
  1. Device Name: LAN IP address of router
  2. SNMP version: V3
  3. Security Name: the router's SNMP username you used
  4. Security Mode: Auth
  5. Auth Key: the router's SNMP password you used
  6. Protocol (auth): MD5
  7. Privacy Key: <blank>
  8. Protocol (privacy): AES ... but shouldn't matter
  9. SNMP timeout: 2s
I monitor four interfaces (so four PeakHour 'devices'), my best guesses were:
  • WAN: eth0
  • WLAN 5GHz: wlan0
  • WLAN 2.4GHz: wlan1
  • LAN: eth2
You can also monitor DSM NAS. Here you get the choice of auth protocol, MD5 or SHA, and enabling privacy (which the SNMP client optionally uses, or not) with DES or AES privacy protocol. If you decide to use privacy then select Auth+Priv as PeakHour's Security Mode.

Hi @atticus7 , welcome to the forum.

The first question is this: are you running PeakHour 4 v4.1.14? And is it's app icon and Preferences toolbar...

this:View attachment 3712 View attachment 3713

or this: View attachment 3714View attachment 3715

The reason I ask is that the v4.1.14 with square icon was apparently released accidentally. I found this one didn't work with any of my previously working SNMP sources. They acknowledged this and provided the corrected version, with the normal round icon, and is now available from their website via the Trial button.

Back to settings that work for me...

SRM -> Control Panel -> Services -> System Services
  1. Enable SNMP
  2. Enable SNMPv3 service
  3. Enter username and password you want for this device.
PeakHour -> SNMP Device Details
  1. Device Name: LAN IP address of router
  2. SNMP version: V3
  3. Security Name: the router's SNMP username you used
  4. Security Mode: Auth
  5. Auth Key: the router's SNMP password you used
  6. Protocol (auth): MD5
  7. Privacy Key: <blank>
  8. Protocol (privacy): AES ... but shouldn't matter
  9. SNMP timeout: 2s
I monitor four interfaces (so four PeakHour 'devices'), my best guesses were:
  • WAN: eth0
  • WLAN 5GHz: wlan0
  • WLAN 2.4GHz: wlan1
  • LAN: eth2
You can also monitor DSM NAS. Here you get the choice of auth protocol, MD5 or SHA, and enabling privacy (which the SNMP client optionally uses, or not) with DES or AES privacy protocol. If you decide to use privacy the select Auth_Priv as PeakHour's Security Mode.
Great stuff - thanks for the swift and comprehensive reply! My PeakHour app has the round icon - I only downloaded it this morning. I will give other suggestions a go and report back.

@fredbert Thanks so much for taking the time to describe how to do this in detail!
I have been looking for a quick and easy way to monitor the state of 2 different internet connection providers in my dual wan Synology setup (both active, 50/50 balancing/failover).
In case it helps someone else, in the Peakhour 4 setup, I used the IP addresses that show _after_ clicking 'next' in the setup to make an educated guess on the interface names for the 2 different providers and which one belonged to which. eth0 and eth2 for me in this setup...

Cheers.

In case it helps someone else, in the Peakhour 4 setup, I used the IP addresses that show _after_ clicking 'next' in the setup to make an educated guess on the interface names for the 2 different providers and which one belonged to which. eth0 and eth2 for me in this setup...
I just select 'Add SNMP device' and do it manually using the 'Next' button. I know what IP addresses I've assign so don't wait for it to not find the NAS devices. :)

I have enabled SNMP on my Mac Minis so I can see what they are doing too. Here are my saved notes, which are working on Catalina:

Bash:
sudo net-snmp-config --create-snmpv3-user -ro -a [AUTH_KEY] -x [PRIVACY_KEY] -X AES -A SHA [SECURITY_NAME]

A note to myself: Needs snmp to be restarted (stop first before user added)

Bash:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.net-snmp.snmpd.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.net-snmp.snmpd.plist

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.