Currently reading
New Camera - Test Connection OK - Cam Disconeccted

NAS
DS214SE
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello folks. First time poster! Please be gentle!

So..... Until this morning I had one camera set up, a pretty cheap Jennov Dome camera (ONVIF protocol) and have had it on and working for a month.

I bought a 2nd camera and went through the process of setting it up. Using the camera's host app, I connected to WiFi and proceeded to use SS to find the camera. No issues so far. SS finds the camera and connects. Test connection is ok. But when I click "Finish" SS attempts activation and connection and fails.
Capture.PNG

I have had a go at matching the camera's settings to the same as the previously installed camera, and also the setting in the host app but all to no avail.

Camera works fine in it's host app.

Anyone able to help me out by pointing out what I am (probably obviously) missing.

Many thanks in advance.

Alan (frustrated!!)

Last edited:
Using the camera's host app, I connected to WiFi and proceeded to use SS to find the camera.
Hi,

Why do you need an app when configuring SS, or do you mean it’s settings page?
So are you saying that both cameras are exactly the same model?
What about the firmware version?
Do they have an ONVIF page on their configuration settings?

Thanks for your response.

Why do you need an app when configuring SS, or do you mean it’s settings page?
App was used to first connect to the camera and then connect the camera to my WiFi network. That was all. I used it to diagnose whether the camera was at fault or not.
So are you saying that both cameras are exactly the same model?
No. Same manufacturer, same protocol, same series, different model.
What about the firmware version?
SS Firmware 8.2.7-6222
Do they have an ONVIF page on their configuration settings?
No. Or not specifically named "ONVIF". What settings would I expect to see on such a page?

No. Or not specifically named "ONVIF". What settings would I expect to see on such a page?
On my Hikvision cameras, I have something like this:

I was asking about the camera’s firmware. Is it the same as the one that is working? Can you compare the firmware versions on the two cameras?

Hikvision for instance uses a single firmware on many of their cameras models.

Good shout. Firmware is different.

The working one has an older version. Will get onto Jennov support to see if they can supply an old version to roll back to.

Although I am half minded that it is a streaming issue as test connection is good and I can go in and change settings on the new camera in SS

More suggestions…

Make sure there is no IP address conflict. You can turn off the camera and ping 192.168.0.97 to test.

The other thing that you can try although it doesn’t make much sense because you’re saying the test is successful, is to ping 192.168.0.97 from DSM. You can SSH and try it. I’d do this just so I can check it off the list so to speak :)

Does it have RTSP support? If so you might try to configure SS to use it and see. I’ve never used it. But as long as your RTSP traffic is local, it should be ok.

The strange thing is that you’re saying when you do a test it actually works! Does it show a picture when you test?
No, but I'm not reading too much into that because the working cam doesn't either, just a green tick.

Are both cameras on the same WiFi AP?
Yes, same AP.
Anything different in the way SS reaches them (route wise)?
No.

More suggestions…

Make sure there is no IP address conflict. You can turn off the camera and ping 192.168.0.97 to test.

The other thing that you can try although it doesn’t make much sense because you’re saying the test is successful, is to ping 192.168.0.97 from DSM. You can SSH and try it. I’d do this just so I can check it off the list so to speak :)

Does it have RTSP support? If so you might try to configure SS to use it and see. I’ve never used it. But as long as your RTSP traffic is local, it should be ok.
Have done the ping test.
Will try the pinging from DSM, but suspect it would be fine.

Other thing to note (not that it should make a difference is) is that I tried it straight in the AP with a LAN cable and got the same results.

Other thing to note (not that it should make a difference is) is that I tried it straight in the AP with a LAN cable and got the same results.
It’s good that you did that. You’ve eliminated the WiFi variable. In fact if I were you, I’ll continue my trouble shooting wired until I reach a conclusion. Not a fan of WiFi cameras :)

If all of the above is unsuccessful. You can move to the “turn it off and on again” zone :)
(unless you started with that)

Disable it and remove it from SS completely, restart the NAS, then go back and add it.

Didn't start with it, but have tried it already!! Reset cam back to factory and tried again. Twice. Same results.

Think if the manufacturers can't help I will just return it and get one the same as I have.......

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.